The next gen and pre-owned games

So it's been revealed that Sony have patented an anti pre-owned game block tying a game to a console or online id, presumably in anticipation of the PS4. But I think this is something that's applicable in a broader context to Microsoft and the next Xbox as well.

-

What do you guys think of this? On the one hand savings made via pre-owned purchases are usually not all that significant I find. But on the other hand the pre-owned market makes it so that older games stay available via legal channels for a long time after they finish their initial print run. It would be such a sadness if older games just disappeared because of a DMR restriction. Just imagine what it would have meant for retro game enthusiasts if the SNES or PS1 had this kind of restriction, if the technology was available obviously. Another way to address it would be through digital distribution but the question is if every game can be made available at all times and at a reasonable price.

-

Another suggestion maybe would be to just electronically restrict re-selling of games until after a certain point in time, cutting down on those 'trade in such and such and get £40 off this new release' types of deals which is what pisses off publishers the most.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm gonna wait 6 months after the new consoles have been released, then decide if I want to spend my money or not. There is a strong possibility I'll stick with the 360 because there is an extensive library of games to be explored.

Its a very, very stupid idea.

Sure if both Sony and Microsoft do it there's a chance of it working as the Wii U will be left out as the least powerful console. However with Valve and Steam potentially entering the console market soon it could well simply kill any company stupid enough to do it. If not via sales but via consumer backlash and people more willing to pirate games.

I mean hell why should I give a crap about being a good decent loyal customer and supporting people while they try their very best to screw me over and milk far more money than I'm willing to pay ? The Pirates will have plenty of company not least from those doing it simply to protest about the system being put in place. The statement of "We would have bought your game and supported you but you didn't show us respect so we have none for you"

I doesn't particularly affect me as I don't buy games preowned.  However as consumers, we have no reason to be happy about this or any of the restrictions that are being imposed/have been imposed on console gaming.

and if they were to do this they would also kill off Game rentals like LOVEFiLM & Blockbuster

remember the rumors the ps3 would not play 2nd hand games?

-

If they brought this in it would be suicide unless they lowered the game prices.

-

Sony were one of the first to jump on the network pass bandwagon so this does not surprise me one bit.

-

Hopefully we won;t see it this next gen.

-

The day this happens is the day I give up gaming, I buy new but I do sell older  games that are no longer played

-

I mainly buy new as well, most of the time wait for them to drop in price. But some times I like finding a cheap second hand game either in a shop or online, taking that choice away for us would be crazy.

I can't see Sony or MS doing that though.

very unlikely to be enforced, and if it dose how will you sell a game on ebay ? will cex cease to exist ? or will every game now be an online code required (more than likely)

[quote user="Private Maximo"]

remember the rumors the ps3 would not play 2nd hand games?

-

If they brought this in it would be suicide unless they lowered the game prices.

-

Sony were one of the first to jump on the network pass bandwagon so this does not surprise me one bit.

-

Hopefully we won;t see it this next gen.

-

The day this happens is the day I give up gaming, I buy new but I do sell older  games that are no longer played

-

[/quote]..

Yeap.......this type of story pops up everytime new hardware is on the horizion without fail.......i doubt it will ever see the light of day until consoles go totally for digital releases only........which i can safely wont be any time soon. ;)

I hope neither Sony of MS are stupid enough to do this, like many people I buy new but do exchange my finished games that won't get played again. Not only that but this stops me lending or trying games that other people have, or we could buy a game and end up disliking it, but we are now stuck with it.

I think this could happen. After all PC games have had no pre-owned market for many years now. Perhaps we'll see a similar reduction in console game prices to compensate for the lack of resale value.