The Humble indie supplement: week of 15th August

Ok carrying on the fairly regular updates  on this that was run by another on the last forum

I’m going to look into indie games in the typical unprofessional approach you’d expect from me, only downloading indie games that catch my eye and in most cases basing my feedback on the trial because I’m not going to buy any games I really don’t like.

Lets Draw & Share – 80 MSP

A nice game which I would say is probably better than “Lets Draw a Picture Together” in all but one vital area, and that is there is no online drawing co-op mode only the ability to share your drawings.

Verdict : For 80MSP it is a good buy for those budding artists out there but if you just want a game to keep the kids busy go for “lets draw a picture together” instead.

Swashbuckel ur seatbelts – 80MSP

I have no idea on this game, how do you review a game that actually cuts you off early ? The answer of course is badly there, the game starts with you driving a Delorian rip off up the side of a building trying to avoid obstacles stuck on the side of the building such as plants, Pringles cans and the Art attack head, doing some pretty precision driving at points. Finally after making it to the top of the seemingly endless building you get to the roof and are told to drive across the roof avoiding falling off or being shot by the other cars up there. The Screen then goes blue just as you drive off and informs you the trial is over ( thats right they’ve put in their own end of trial part in). The game also messes up the graphics on the 360 meaning when and if people sign in as you play you have a horrible 8bit pixelated version of the sign in thing pop up.

The Verdict: Probably best to avoid even at 80MSP unless you like playing the impossible game but made more boring and tedious.

Blow Me Up- 80MSP

If Ms Splosion man Apple Jack and blow up doll once spent a night together in a wierd hotel, the result still wouldn’t be as wierd as this game. You a blow up doll and an inflatable pig collapse in the desert and are rescued by a mysterious person and told you will be released once you’ve helped with his experiments. These experiments require the boy blowing off his various limbs causeing blood to splatter about, all to help him reach a goal area , every few levels you have to play as the pig who’s objective is to kill other animals to satisfy the experimenters meat lust. Each level starts with you getting a note from your captor sometimes giving hints some just random comments such as “can pigs read ?” and the levels end with the inflatable lady herself with notes, some quite lude while others suggesting she’s being threatened, she also gives you a star score for the level depending on how much explosion fuel you used. This ratings system gives you a reason to reply but is very harsh, I’ve managed to 2 star only 1 level the rest were 1 or 0 star clears. The trial even offers extra humour by have consumerism bear appear to get you to fess up money to keep playing. Now based on the previous game you’d think I’d be slating this game now based on that, but here’s where it differs, pick back and the game will then turn and let you play “a few” more levels. The trial timer then ran out on me, not the one in the game but the MS built in trial time.

The Verdict: Not one for the kids but definitely worth a look for the 80MSP being asked, and that’s just for the humour alone.

Beware of the Penguins  80MSP

Well not much to say on this game. If you like Horde / survival mode alone with only 1 type of weapon and enemies that rely purely on numbers to win then fine this is the game for you, the main danger here is from the environment not the penguins as step too far in the water and you die.

The verdict: if you really must have a new horde mode game then fine, if you’re happy with all the others out there, don’t bother with this one it’s a waste

Like a certain Facebook game made 3D, you grow your own crops sell them on plow the land and get to put cool stuff into your farm. This game totally fails for a number of reasons, firstly you lose the social aspect, you can’t have others view your farm or help out meaning as nice as your farm might be only you will get to see it so you can’t show off how much time you’ve put in. Secondly craps grow in 10 minute or more and do grow based on your console clock time and date etc meaning you have to go back and harvest them, so unless you either want to be dropping out of games every 10 minutes to harvest your crops they will go rotten and spoil being worth less money. The game also has no market like said facebook game so has no social aspect other than scoreboards, the game also fails to realise as you can log into facebook for many places while out people could farm and work and check in during their breaks etc, so unless you happen to have your 360 set up in your office or are very bored and unemployed I don’t know who I could ever recommend this game too as its tedious and need for attention ruins all its fun, that and having to slowly walk everywhere, really ?

The Verdict: This game might give your everything for 240MSP unlike Farmville and its exclusive cash system thing but it will cost you as much if not more in time required to get anywhere and unless you see farming as its own reward and don’t want anything back, don’t buy this game, save the 240MSP and do the same watering plants etc in “Plants VS Zombies” Zen garden instead where its actually much more fun to do and doesn’t feel like a little child pulling on your leg begging for attention.

Moon Cheese-  80MSP

A cool if confusing little game, which seems more about bouncing than about climbing.

The Verdict: it justifies its price tag but no more than that as it only just manages to be worth its price.

Zombies Ruined my day- 80MSP

Welcome to the Zombie apocalypse I’d probably be in, the one that starts just as you get a date with a hot girl. The game works again like a variation of a horde survival game, as you progress you get introduced to more zombie types and given more weapons to help you. The game works quite well and though the maps are limited and the pistol pretty useless, it’s still fun with your aim being more important than you’d think.

The verdict: for 80 MSP it’s well worth it for an indie game of this quality 120MSP would have been probably the price I’d expect. If you’re a big fan of slightly silly Zombie horde survival games this might be your thing as it will probably be 1/10th the cost of All Zombie must die.

Honor in Vengence II- 80MSP

A very nicely presented game with nice visuals but for lack of much to do its not more than a gentle space shooter nothing more to say.

The Verdict: If you like space shooters then it’s worth the 80MSP just don’t expect much more for your  money  beyond a basic shooter, though as you progress you can saved your progress in the waves to help you come back later and finish them off.

Parasitus: Ninja Zero- 240MSP

A strange time travelling ninja platformer zombie slayer game. Well presented and fairly fun but does very little novel other that the weird backstory.

Verdict: If it were 80MSP I’d say buy it in a hear beat, if it were 120 MSP I’d say it were worth a look but for 240MSP this game is overpriced so save your money, there’s titles for the same price or less that offer as much or more.

Trailer Park King- 80MSP

Welcome to the trailer park, you play as King in a choose your own adventure round the place with pictures and it also turns into a strange hidden item / puzzle game. All with scantily clad animated women for the teenage audience or those lonely people like me out there. The story sounds interesting from the start and the over the top characters make it a good exercise in comedy.

The Verdict: Maybe not one for the kids but still fun, even if the game will mainly appeal to an audience for whom actual **** still technically illegal but under it is a solid game, one well worth the 80MSP asked for it and it could easily have managed a 120MSP price tag as the story is also voice acted by a half decent cast that don’t sound like they are reading a simple script.

Virtual Attraction part 1-  80MSP

A very comprehensive detailed pick up guide, that would have any feminist up in arms and with dubious advice such as “buy girls drinks in a bar and flowers often and they will see you as generous and assumed you are a guy who is safe to be with and will look after her”. This might be the guide to getting a woman though if that woman would be some one you want to be with or merely a gold digger seeing you as a soft touch and after expensive gifts I’d happily debate over. The game comes with a test your knowledge sequence to see how you’d do in a club, (though it seems to rely on the girl coming to you in the club in the first place.) most likely too you’d get a drink in the face or brushed off for using some of the advice in reality.

Verdict: The best laugh 80MSP will buy you on xbox live, shame it wasn’t the intended purpose of the game.

What’s been draining my points this week ?

Only one game has got me to cough up this week and that’s Trailer Park King for its novel mix of story, characters, voice acting, humour and of course boobs.

Though if I find I have points left over again Blow Me Up will be the game getting my points from this weeks list.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 21, 2018 Views 1 Applies to:

Nice list but I wont be buying anything until they enable offline play for Indie games.

[quote user="voteDC"]

Nice list but I wont be buying anything until they enable offline play for Indie games.

[/quote]

yeh that is a pain, though you can play some games offline or so I've been told ( though personally I only know of Kodu gamelab that works offline at the moment. )

As always, very nice read, Hobb.

Actually you have your facts wrong.  Virtual Attraction doesnt tell people to buy drinks and flowers. It actually teaches the opposite!  Don't try and 'bribe' a girl with drinks and flowers until you've actually gotten to know her. But then again, you probably didn't read the book, which is pretty bad for a reviewer.

[quote user="superaardvarks"]

Actually you have your facts wrong.  Virtual Attraction doesnt tell people to buy drinks and flowers. It actually teaches the opposite!  Don't try and 'bribe' a girl with drinks and flowers until you've actually gotten to know her. But then again, you probably didn't read the book, which is pretty bad for a reviewer.

[/quote]

kinda funny being told its pretty bad for a revewer when I stated early on

[quote user="hobblejp"]

I’m going to look into indie games in the typical unprofessional approach you’d expect from me.

[/quote]

Also it should be stated without a HDTV that book is damn hard to read I mean harder to read than the Dead Rising text.

I also still stand by my review of the game entirely as having Femenists up in arms.

From page 1 of the book for example ."They want to meet a nice, good looking guy from a wealthy family"

Also "Invest in the new L'Oreal for men collection"

"if you buy her drinks, flowers etc, she will see how generous and romantic you can be, and be interested in you"

So does that count as reading the book I wonder as it seems what I claimed was said in the book.

indie games are tricky, i dont care if there cheap. They use MSP so should therefore grant Cheevo points. and i dont even care about Cheevos. I just think if they were allowed to be included they would sell SO much more

I'm gonna add also, cos i see there is moaning about not being able to read text unless you have a HD TV. If that is infact the case, why on earth are you wasting money on indie games, save it and update yout TV, simple

[quote user="haz2901"]

I'm gonna add also, cos i see there is moaning about not being able to read text unless you have a HD TV. If that is infact the case, why on earth are you wasting money on indie games, save it and update yout TV, simple

[/quote]

I do actually have a HD TV about I could use, however I prefer not to use it mainly because the audio on the SD tv I have is much better also the SD TV is slightly bigger than the HD one.

Good section Hobble, if I may say so myself.  Good reviews, and you cover everything.  There have been a few crackers this week, including a stunning beat'em up released today by Milkstone.  Have you tried it yet?

I have been working through some of the indie games this week and I will be putting up a new lot of reviews if not later tonight but tomorrow. And If its the beat-em up game I'm thinking of it is damn fine but a shame about the presentation.