The good old days.

I'm off tomorrow to look for a new TV and it got me thinking. You can now pick up 3D TVs with internet access which take up half a wall in your living room but has any of this improved gaming? I mean I can remember sitting in my bedroom playing Golden Eye, 4 player split screen on a 14inch TV and probably having the most fun I ever had gaming. Thats not to say I don't love how some games look and sound now but could you go back to them days?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I have a 42" and 50" HDTV. I didnt see what all the fuss was about with HDTV, but once I tried it, there was no going back.  3D however, is not for me. I have my laptop, mobile and PC for Internet access, so dont need another device for that.

I don't think you could go back once you have used HD. When GRAW 2 was first released I used to have a standard tv, but when I could I would use my PC monitor as it gave me a better picture. When I couldn't use the monitor and I had to use the tv, it was horrible. Couldn't see enemies from afar, or spot the slight movements like I could before. HDtv has improved sharpness on reading text etc as well. But I suppose can cause problems (Dead Rising 1)

All in all, once you've gone HD I don't think you can go back. 3D gaming isn't amazing at the moment either, having to wear glasses isn't any fun. Played one game in 3D on the xbox and wasn't impressed in the slighest. My 3DS is for my 3D gaming, only because I don't have to wear the glasses.

I could never go back lol.

I have a 50" 3D HDTV and yes it takes up alot of wall, but fantastic experience watching Avatar 3D in your living room.

Granted, gaming is slightly different. Developers haven't cracked it yet which means we're left with half resolution to utilise 3D. Black Ops is awful however, Crysis 2 in 3D was alot better.

[quote user="Mr Goonerluke"]

I'm off tomorrow to look for a new TV and it got me thinking. You can now pick up 3D TVs with internet access which take up half a wall in your living room but has any of this improved gaming? I mean I can remember sitting in my bedroom playing Golden Eye, 4 player split screen on a 14inch TV and probably having the most fun I ever had gaming. Thats not to say I don't love how some games look and sound now but could you go back to them days?

[/quote]

I think it really depends on the game but with some awesome games coming to xbla (guardian heroes anyone) and with the advances in technology i think it would be hard to go back. I know people who still play ps2 these days and haven't moved to this generation some games don't age at all (guardian heroes) and some games do eg perfect dark. 

all i know is it is a very exciting time for gamers the world over whether you are a xbox fanboy ps3 fanboy or nintedoid hehe or like me a GAMER with all consoles and a pc becuase i like games no matter what system they come out on   

Gaming shouldn't be about the definition the experience is in, it should be about the gameplay, the graphics / audio can be secondary to everything else if the game is good enough.  Obviously higher resolutions, more audio channels and the like are a nice added bonus but "HD" was hyped to the point where everyone signifies it with "better" which can be a matter of opinion.

I still play plenty PC games that don't upscale to 2560x1600 well (if at all) and the PS1/2 & Dreamcast are always connected to our main 1080p set in the living room.  Other than the minor issue of current consoles often having unreadable text on SDTV I can't see a realistic reason why I couldn't get along without HD other than for work purposes, some of the older games actually look better in SD.

The first thing I did when I got my first HDtv was to replay Halo3 and boy did it look good!!! There is no way I could go back to using a SDtv now.

I currently play on a 40" Samsung Series 5 and its mint, but I could easily swap to a 26" if needs be as long as its HD and preferably 1080p.

I remember playing Super Mario 3 on the NES plugged into a big ol' tv encased in a wooden box.....felt like the nuts at the time though!!!

Playing on a HDTV is something else.

I can game on a smaller TV, as long as it's a HDTV but I don't think I will be able to go back to a SDTV.

We have a SDTV in the wee lads room and he would sometimes play the Xbox on it and it really is terrible; i've always been gaming with the Xbox on a Samsung LCD and i'd not play on anytihng less; we have a 22" LCD tv in our bedroom and its really good for gaming so we let the wee lad use that tv mostly as he's not allowed to play at night as he needs to sleep for school!

May get him a wee LCD for his room on his next birthday.

I got a little 19 inch HDTV for social gaming moments. I don't think I could go back to SD either. Plus, my 42" beast looks so imposing in the living room :D

the good old days is when everyone out side playing not stuck in door geting fat like these days too many are obese