The Console Wars Just Got a Bit More Interesting.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I'm sure I'd be in the minority, but whatever...it's a discussion forum.  I have always found Valve's games to be overrated.  The L4D games are the only ones that gave me some enjoyment, and only because I played them in coop.  When the Orange Box came out, I couldn't stand Half Life and Portal.  The only one I liked was TF2.  But that's just my taste.  Valve exclusives would never push me to invest in a new machine.

I don't know much about steam or this new box I pretty much only use my PC to play MMO's or the occasional fun with skyrim and mods.  BUT alienware had an announcement on facebook and an alienware rep was responding to some peoples comments

" I see where you are going but IMO, but I think this hardware can appeal to both sides. To the dedicated PC gamer it is an easy console-ish networked box that you can stream your dedicated tower's gameplay/media right into your living room. Think of it like a fancier Roku box or something.

Then for the console gamer, it is a more managable PC-ish box that allows them to get PC titles played on-par with next-gen with the ability to upgrade down the road. _DC1" -alienware

interesting

Actually Valve is currently working on L4D 3, this according to OXM...

"Nobody, is perfect"... -(nobody)-

Be interesting if Apple got involved, very interesting.

this is cool. i wonder if steamos will allow us to build our own boxes? im definitely giong to watch and see what features steam will bring to the table.

[quote user="EvilTwinGX"]

[quote user="SparkStormrider"]

[quote user="SirAngry"]

Multiple manufacturers... so they are going the 3DO route like I suggested on here the other day... hmm... funny that. ;)

It'll depend on the licensing and the hardware specifications, but yes, it could potentially be a very interesting concept, and is certainly something Microsoft and Sony will have to keep an eye on. Especially if various cable and satellite TV companies start 'building' their own Steamboxes to try and keep control of content provision themselves. That by the the way is a possibility.

[/quote]TV companies making their own "Steamboxes" sounds like an interesting development.  Curious to see how it plays out.  I prefer console gaming over PC gaming, but depending on how all of this works out, will be interesting to see how things come into play.

[/quote]Althoughthe whole idea of TV companies making their own SteamBoxes might not exactly be a new concept as I recall back when M$ were talking implimenting IPTV for that very purpose.  The problem is it either wasn't very popular or accessible or whatever that it didn't exactly fall through as expected, so we never really even saw the light of it.  Still, it would be interesting, although it just rather seems to me, judging from what I've seen, that TV companies would rather focus on that particular hardware alone.

[/quote]

The issue in the past whenever anyone has tried it is that actually their has been a single manufacturer trying to force a product and product spec on unwilling partners. The Valve solution is to give other companies control within quite loose parameters. That could allow the likes of Comcast to actually build their own card readers etc. into their own boxes. It'll be interesting to see if the likes of Roku are interested as well...

[quote user="SparkStormrider"]

[quote user="SirAngry"]

Multiple manufacturers... so they are going the 3DO route like I suggested on here the other day... hmm... funny that. ;)

It'll depend on the licensing and the hardware specifications, but yes, it could potentially be a very interesting concept, and is certainly something Microsoft and Sony will have to keep an eye on. Especially if various cable and satellite TV companies start 'building' their own Steamboxes to try and keep control of content provision themselves. That by the the way is a possibility.

[/quote]TV companies making their own "Steamboxes" sounds like an interesting development.  Curious to see how it plays out.  I prefer console gaming over PC gaming, but depending on how all of this works out, will be interesting to see how things come into play.

[/quote]Althoughthe whole idea of TV companies making their own SteamBoxes might not exactly be a new concept as I recall back when M$ were talking implimenting IPTV for that very purpose.  The problem is it either wasn't very popular or accessible or whatever that it didn't exactly fall through as expected, so we never really even saw the light of it.  Still, it would be interesting, although it just rather seems to me, judging from what I've seen, that TV companies would rather focus on that particular hardware alone.

[quote user="Burst Axe"]

@Sir Dead Rising 3 is on X1. The other games have always been garbage IMO. The only game they have that I like is Left For Dead but I won't spend money for just one game otherwise I'd be getting a PS4 as well.

[/quote]

Half-Life garbage? Portal garbage? Go wash your mouth out with soap young man... to each their own I guess. But just so we're clear... you are wrong!!! ;)

Obviously I meant left 4 Dead 3 or no doubt L3ft 4 D3ad after some marketing numpty gets their hands on the title. My brain is frazzled, spent all day in a design meeting... with no coffee or cake. Bloody inhuman it was.

@Sir Dead Rising 3 is on X1. The other games have always been garbage IMO. The only game they have that I like is Left For Dead but I won't spend money for just one game otherwise I'd be getting a PS4 as well.

^Valve can't count to 3