Much like how your console will occasionally download updates to improve your experience, your controller can take updates too. This will enable and improve compatibility with the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter, which allows you to plug in a variety of headsets to chat and play. Each controller must take the updates individually, and one at a time - the updates are not stored in your Stereo Headset Adapter.
To update, please follow these steps in order:
- Power on the console, sign in, and connect to Xbox Live.
- If you are prompted to install a console update, take care of that now.
- While at the home screen, plug the Stereo Headset Adapter into the controller.
- Plug the USB cable into the port on the side of the console, and then plug the small end of the cable into your controller.
- Instructions to install the controller update should appear. Follow the prompts on screen and do not unplug the USB cable. This can take a few minutes!
- The console will tell you when the controller update is complete. Go ahead and unplug, and enjoy!
If you run into any issues with the update, or if you want more detailed steps with screen shots, then check out this helpful article. Please try all of the troubleshooting steps offered there. If you continue to experience any issues, start a new thread with the following info and we will be more than happy to help you here:
- What accessory are you having trouble with (controller and/or Stereo Headset Adapter)?
- What exactly is happening? List any error codes or messages, console behavior, controller behavior.
- What have you tried so far? Please be specific! Saying "I've tried everything" makes it tougher for us to help find and fix the issue.
- Are you in the Update Preview Program? If you are, please post in the Update Preview Forums (select the current wave) for the most effective and helpful support.