The 360 update zeroed out all my memory

I am pretty livid.

I performed update and received an error code that I needed to reinsert my storage device to continue update, to no avail, didn't work. Unplugged storage, looked at it from my laptop and somehow the update caused 10 gb of memory to become 30 gb of corrupted crap. So I sucked it up and cleared the storage device, lost ALL memory of me existing. I did the update by way of flash drive as the site suggested, it updated and the further *** things up giving me the system error and red ring. E71. Ultimately I ended up removing flash drive, figuring out how to have the Xbox drop all updates and restart from the extreme beginning.

I am terrified of any further updates, this is ridiculous! Twice now I have had all my offline gaming disappear. I wont use xbox's cloud as the updates are scary enough, I guess I need to back up my storage more often. I am definitely thinking twice about upgrading to the next platform. Nothing kills a gaming mood quicker than working to get somewhere in a game and to have it just disappear.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

What type of hard drive are you using?  Is it an official Xbox hard drive or a 3rd party drive?

Also, you should never plug the drive into your computer as that will change all the info on you and make it unreadable.

Finally, here's some info on the E71 error.

support.xbox.com/.../error-code-E71

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I didn't plug the xbox hard drive into my pc, it was the flash with all the games stored. I didn't feel I had a choice but to figure out what took 20GB of memory on my flash drive from the update, it may have been the wrong choice but either way the flash drive was ***.  The hard drive on the xbox was also maxed out but when you looked at what was in it (with the xbox) it stated no files were contained. I had to reformat it and start it again also. The point here is, the newest update is unstable and had I not updated I would not be having the problem I am.

Sorry this didn't help.

Not necessarily.  Some flash drives are notorious for deleting saves and items.  It has happened to me on several occasions.  Which brand is the drive?

A good way to prevent this from happening is to format the flash drive on your pc before configuring it on the console.

Sorry this didn't help.