Tests are all fine but still can't stay connected.

I have a relatively new Xbox 360 (6 month old slim model) that I bought from a friend recently when he picked up the Gears of War edition console. I'm trying to connect to Xbox Live via my home wireless network. When I run a connection test with automatic settings, all three steps connect (network, Internet, Xbox Live) but about 75% of the time, I still can't sign into Live when I go back to the account sign in page. The 25% of the time when it does allow me to connect, my connection is dropped with a half hour and I'm back to square one. But, the connection test passes nearly 100% of the time, and the only time it didn't pass was when I was playing around with manual settings.

A few notes:

-I previously owned an Xbox about three years ago, and it resided in the exact same physical location as the new one does. It was an original model with the wireless network adapter, and I never had any issues with connecting to Live.

-I have already visited Xbox.com's support section and none of the suggestions on their site were able to fix my situation. I also contacted a customer service rep with the same results.

-The person I purchased the console from is a close friend and had no issues with it at his home. He has the same ISP, but was using a wired connection to connect to Live.

-I have already tried: restoring factory defaults, reformatting the console's hard drive and internal memory, recovering my gamertag twice (each time of which I was only able to do after multiple attempts due to said connection issues)

-I also was able to connect with a network bridge from my laptop with some success, but I still get dropped regularly and when I first boot my Xbox, it can take up for 15 minutes to get the connection working properly. I consulted with multiple tutorials and from what I can tell, it is set up properly. However, this is an option I would very much like to avoid and if it's an absolute necessity, I would need more information to get it working properly.

-I've experimented with manual IP settings on the console, and I have ports opened for a reserved IP on my router, but every time I test the connection using the manual settings, I get the following message: "You can connect to Xbox LIVE, but your current network configuration may limit your online experience. Select More Info for a description of the problem and how you can fix it." It then tells me my NAT type is Moderate. It instructs me to reset my modem and/or router, I do that, and retest with the same results.

So my question is, what am I doing wrong? A hard-wired connection is unfortunately not an option; the modem/router are on a different floor on the other side of the house. But, as I stated earlier, this console is in the same place I had an Xbox three years ago, with no issues then on the same wireless router. Also, I wouldn't be asking this here if I hadn't already consulted with Microsoft, so I ask you to please not respond with their customer service number. It's the last number in my recently dialed, ha. If any more information is needed, I can provide it. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 9 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please read this post forums.xbox.com/.../93185.aspx

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

This has been an ongoing issue since I got the system on Tuesday.

Sorry this didn't help.

There has been issues since like last week. About this.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hmmm.  Would you be able to elaborate on what the issue is, or why it is affecting me and not a single other person on my friends list?  Xbox.com/support says Live is up and running...

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not just effecting you! There has been alot more.

Sorry this didn't help.

Again, can you elaborate on what the issue is?  If there was a problem, 1) I feel like xbox.com/support would not say "Up and running" and 2) I think the customer service representative would have known about it.  I appreciate you trying to help, but it would be much more helpful if you could explain what the problem is and why it's only affecting certain users, or at least provide any source other than another of your own posts.

Sorry this didn't help.

We're having problems too. I can't connect to a private party for my friends.

We try to send invites and no one gets them.. I shut off the xbox and then turn it on and then all my missed messages appear up.

I've noticed that since the last patch around sept 13th or so that a lot of people are having the same problem. Lovely.

Sorry this didn't help.

Connecting to Xbox is one problem, recovering gamer tags. Just the whole servers have been screwy.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey all - are you still having issues?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes,my x360 dropped all network configurations yesterday,wont recognise automatically,set up manually,have some luck for about 15-20min,then live started disconnecting every few minutes,now i cant even sign in for xlive (funny,it happened when i bought 12months gold...

Sorry this didn't help.