tablet controllers, what do you guys think?

I was reading this article http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/post/720680/xbox-360-successor-rumored-to-go-the-tablet-controller-route/ and everything was all fine and dandy until i got the the tablet part.... I know it's just a rumor so lets just say IF Microsoft decides to do this... what are your thoughts?

Personally I love the normal standard controller for gaming, its small, all i have to do is look at the screen and good battery life, it's one of the reasons why I still play console. Tablets to me get all finger smudgy, and its one extra screen you need to look at. Also if you ever broke it, how much would it be to buy another? Tablet gaming should stay on tablets because its portable, in my opinion, games on tablets are made for hipsters and casual people who don't really care a lot for gaming. I think if Microsoft actually did this a lot of people would go to PS3 as well, people are already planning to change to either xbox or PS3 from Nintendo after they revealed their tablet.

So what do you guys think?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I agree with you on that. I play a few games here and there to pass the time on my iPad 2 and couldn't imagine trying to play something more in depth with it. Having a display on the controller could be useful for some games but other than that, I'll stick with what  we have now.

The more and more things that come out about next gen consoles, while they may be only rumors, are making me think I may just not be playing video games in the next few years. If I do it will be on old consoles.

[quote user="NoxiousFarts"]I may just not be playing video games in the next few years. If I do it will be on old consoles.[/quote]

I was thinking along the same lines,surley there would be an option to have a 'classic' controller if you didn't want to use a glorified Wii

I have never felt the need to look at my controller while playing, of felt need for a screen on it. That's what the TV is for. I wouldn't mind having a small keyboard on the controller like the chatpad, would be cheap and usefull particulary to map buttons for games, and ease of typing messages would be nice bonus feature. Not even full qwerty keyboard would be needed, just a narror like of mobile phone one

Think someone got confused when they looked at the WiiU and the Razor Blade. MS with Kinect has shown they want less from the controller and more from motion tracking and voice. Also the almost complete lack support for additional function for the chatpad makes me really skeptical they want to do anything more with controllers beyond the layout they have now which is almost perfect.

As long as there is tactile feedback on my controller (like buttons and analogue sticks), I'm fine with a screen on my controller. Someting like an updated Dreamcast VMU would be cool I guess.

However, a tablet like an Ipod/Iphone with touch screen only would be horrible; dodgy controls that offer no real feedback are the main reason a smartphone could never replace a dedicated gaming console. Shoot, I won't even buy DS games that won't let me use the Dpad from character control/movement!

I would not buy a console predicated around motion control or tablet usage at all...

So much for precision gaming.  Think how costly and unreliable these things will be.  I've had to buy a half dozen 360 controllers over the years because they wear out and they are way too expensive as is.  Between this and the news that used games won't be supported, I'm curious to see what Sony will have to offer.

Don't want it myself. However, they may include it to blindside the Wii U by taking away one of its unique funcationalities.

I for one think this is a great idea.  I like the chat pad device we have now.  Giving Players the ability to map keys.  Or quick item access just sounds like a win for console gaming.  

-

I still like the controller and don't want to hold a tablet.  I also don't want accelerometer controls.  

-

This kind of tech could work very well with games that are out now.  Put area maps on it.  Hot key spells and ability's.  Unit creation or info for RTS games.  Manage friends list messages and invites.  It sounds almost too easy to mess up.

-

Now the question of price.  I'd probably pay 50$ cause I'm cheap,  but if I got one whiff of poor implementation you could count me out.  Maybe  we can see some Microsoft prototypes at E3 and we can give some feedback before you dedicate to mass production.  

All these rumours and they are just rumours kind of put me off the next gen of xbox.  A tablet controller would probably be very expensive.