System update loop

Over the past couple of days I've been trying to update to the newest version of live. At first all seems well, I get the prompt to begin the download and it finishes, my 360 restarts and then I get prompted to download the update again. 

I've tried updating through wifi, updating through a usb, I have several gigs free, clearing the system caches, reinserting the hard drive, and attempted to download the profile again. Yet, I'm not sure if I was able to as I was interrupted by the update prompt before even getting a chance to submit my username and password.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 25 Applies to:

Not sure if it will help, but try a hard reset, hold the power button for 10 seconds to power it off, then hold it another 10 to power it on. I've had issues that this fixes right away.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having this same problem. I've done the download 4 times then I went to check my Live connection and that isn't listening to the internet,  reset factory settings, unplugged the internet. I even tried the hard reset Leo mentioned...nothing. Any other suggestions out there?

Sorry this didn't help.

I just got the same issue. I am getting this error message after update:

"Some Xbox 360 features are missing or corrupt. A system update is required to replace them. Your console will now restart. If the problem persists there may be a problem with your storage device. For more info, visit www.xbox.com/support."

The console was bouncing between the error message and the same update process in an endless loop. After removing HD, kinect, etc, I could open the main menu. But as soon I slide to the Games tab it freezes again. After formatting the internal memory I was able to navigate the dashboard and so connectivity tests. At least it can reach Xbox Live.

If it is a software problem then Microsoft should provide a simple way to fix this. Don't they have master disks able to dash the internal memory to the initial safe state??? sending the XBOX360 to repair costs almost the same as buying a replacement one.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried downloading the update and upgrading the firmware using a pen drive. Same results. Formatting the internam memory did not fix it at all. The OS at least should provide a disgnostic tool and an error code. It doesn't speaks very well from Microsoft having a problem that renders the console unusable and not having an error code for it.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Oki bcn"]

After formatting the internal memory I was able to navigate the dashboard and so connectivity tests. At least it can reach Xbox Live.

[/quote]

When you say "internal memory", do you own a 4GB model of the Xbox console? Or do you mean the installed harddrive?

If you were able to resolve that by formatting the harddrive, it might be that your hard disc drive is becoming defective.

To check for that, please try the following:

Turn the console off, and remove the harddrive. Insert an USB drive of at least 1GB size into the console. Press and hold down the connect button (the button you use to connect new wireless controllers to the console, it's usually next to the USB flap or the small round button next to the Memory Unit Slots).

With the connect button held down, start the console until it is on the dashboard.

Go to the Settings hub on the far right, and go to the system tile in the upper left. There go to the storage options. In the storage options, format the USB drive as a Xbox Memory Unit. After that press the following button combination.

RB LB X RB LB X

This should clear the corrupted system update from your console, and force the console to pull a clean system update from Live again.

After the update is finished, check if your console works with the USB drive as only storage. If it does, add your harddrive again, and see if the problems reappear. If you get problems again, your HDD is defective and you need to replace that.

Sorry this didn't help.

ArminatorX, thanks for your instructions. I am afraid that I have a 4MB internal flash memory model and I can not remove it without opening it. I removed the additional HD but that is just a data storage. If the OS is corrupted, the problem should be where the OS is located. Will your instructions work with the 4GB model?

Thanks for this quick answer!!!!!

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Maddend Ostrich"]

I am afraid that I have a 4MB internal flash memory model and I can not remove it without opening it.

[/quote]

Even if you opened it, there is no end-user way to remove the internal storage, as the flash chips for the storage are soldered on-board. But that doesn't matter, as the console storage doesn't hold the system specific OS itself. Only additional parts like the Avatar Editor and the likes. The Core OS is stored in a completely different storage, that you as end user can't access or manage.

[quote user="Maddend Ostrich"]

If the OS is corrupted, the problem should be where the OS is located. Will your instructions work with the 4GB model?

[/quote]

As I said, you can't do anything on the OS part. My instructions will work with the 4GB model. If you suspect the OS is corrupted, use the LB RB X LB RB X button combination to remove the last console update.

Either let the console re-download the needed update online, or you can try to do an offline update through an USB. That offline update file is the full system OS. So there are no parts that are "skipped" during that update.

Sorry this didn't help.

I already tried the offline download, The console installed the update but the issue persists. May I consider it a broken hardware issue????

Sorry this didn't help.

Can you check what version is installed by going to the settings hub on the far right, there to the system tile in the upper left, then to the console settings, and at the bottom to the System Info.

There is a number that says "D: 2.0.XXXXX.Y". What does the version number for D: say?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, guys! I understand that ArminatorX is working hard to get you resolved, however this thread is originally 9 months old. So that we can get you the individual support you are looking for, I suggest creating a new thread and ArminatorX can help you out further there. Thanks for understanding! :)

Sorry this didn't help.