SYSTEM UPDATE CAUSING MOTIONS SICKNESS

I have been experincing motions sickness since the june 2012 Dashboard update.  I have over 160 plus games and never get motion sickness until the new dashboard update just came down and one other past update years ago that was patched.  This time it's so bad I even get motion sick just sitting on the dashboard for just a second or two.  I can play PS3 still with no problem on the same tv and anything else but I would really like to play my games on my xbox as I have a extensive library of games.  I have friends who are complaining of the same thing and only since the latest system update are they having this problem. I contacted xbox and they said this issues of this nature are now handled though xbox.com as they don't have direct contact with anybody in the development team to get a patch.  I have been on xbox live alomost everyday for over six years and had so many dashborad updates(around the30) and only 2 have caused this problem. Its a huge problem when I nor freinds of mine are unable to play or watch anything on our xbox due to a system update causing motion sickness.  I was told the update was only Kinect related the first time I called something to do with height and weight detection but it changed much more than that ohterwise I wouldn't being so sick from it not to mention I have points I'd like to spend but can't.  I've tried numerous troubleshooting tips without success such as deleting the system update and reinstalling it (no success) I've tried resetting system to defaults by holding right trigger and Y and still didn't solve it as it did in past with the previous system update that caused me motion sickness and it helped.  I tried deleting and just redownloading it from live didn't help. I even deleted the system update and reinstalled the old patch off the support forums from febuary on xbox.com and no fix.This patch is bad I have friends who used to only get sick with one game now all games make them sick a good example would be a friend of mine DelsolateWolf.  I would love to get back to using my system as before the previous update as well as my friends and we would appreciate a patch as soon as possible. 

PanicRedmonkey

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

3d tv settings can cause motion sickness, make sure its disabled in settings.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there, Panic. I can understand your frustration, and I'm sorry that you're having difficulty with motion sickness. I want to reassure you that I certainly am not trying to give you a run around. My sole aim is to understand your experience so I can get a better read on how to best proceed for this situation. If I gave any offense, I do apologize for it.

I can see that you cannot provide a video of your dashboard, so I have gone and navigated through a handful of different Xboxes all on the latest system update and using different monitors to see if I could reproduce your experience. I haven't encountered any motion sickness in doing so. If you do have repro steps that I can try, please post them for me and I will be more than happy to give it a shot.

Sorry this didn't help.

I don't know how this got so confused I get motion sickness on games and on the dashboard not just dashboard and posting a video won't do a thing and I have multptile TV"s plasmas and LCD''s so stop talking about tv settings it's not helping anybody this problem is directly related to the dashboard update. I know it as well as other's who are experincing the same thing and as far as posting a video that would help how exactly if I even had something to record it which I don't off the top of my head.  I don't know why this is becoming the run around and people not reading previous posts and posting check your tv settings I say check yours mine are the same as always for over 4 or 5 years and no problems until a dashboard updates.  So if you want to really help read the OP's.  If you want see a dashboard look at your's mine's the same no video needed.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, everyone. Like Mister Gwyther mentioned as far as I know there were no graphical components introduced in this most recent update. However, I would like to get a better read on the exact situation here. Would it be possible for you to provide a video of your dashboard where you are encountering motion sickness? That would be very helpful to me. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.

Just try changing your TV settings around to see what fits for you. I noticed the dashboard is a little bit brighter after the update and some images seem sharper.

-

What kind of TV do you have? HDTV? SD?

-

If you are on a HDTV setting, try switching to SD and see how it feels.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your best bet is to open a ticket with XBOX Live support and have it escalated to Tier 2 so MS can make a note of it. MS isn't going to admit to anything until they can replicate the issue in-house. They may not even say anything until there's a fix in the works.

Sorry this didn't help.

I really think people should stop with the medical advice. That is extremely inappropriate. We all did not suddenly get ill when we updated our consoles. Giving advice is one thing, scaring people half to death with possible illness is another.

I think this needs to be looked into a lot more and not just brushed under the carpet or finger pointing at anyone, be that us the members, or the Xbox development team. It just needs looked into, because it does exist for many since the last update.

We all just need to wait and see what turns up from this post. I'm sure the Support Team on here have passed all this information on back to the correct people for them to look into.

But apart from the medical advice, I, and no doubt the OP appreciate all feedback in here, as Im sure a lot of other members reading this thread do.

Sorry this didn't help.

Until such time as a patch is released, I would suggest changing your console settings so that it launches to the disc instead of to the dashboard. Go to Settings / System / Console Settings / Startup and Shutdown / Startup / Disc.

I would also suggest drinking ginger tea or chewing crystallized ginger. If the condition is more serious than that, you're really doing a disservice to yourself by not seeking medical treatment.

Quoting from www.medicinenet.com/.../page4.htm

"Most cases of motion sickness are mild and self-treatable. However, very severe cases and those that become progressively worse deserve the attention and care of a physician with special skill in diseases of the ear, balance (equilibrium), and the nervous system. Scopolamine requires a prescription."

It's unlikely an effective update can be released unless there is medical evidence as to what exactly is causing the motion sickness in some Xbox 360 users. If all the evidence you can provide is "me and my friends got motion sickness after the update", and you refuse to see a medical professional regarding your condition, you're not taking the responsibility for your own health and blaming it on Xbox.

To summarize my advice:

(1) Change your console settings as described in my first paragraph.

(2) Take steps to minimize the ill effects of your motion sickness. That may include shutting off your console.

(3) Seek medical help from a physician with special skill in diseases of the ear, balance (equilibrium), and the nervous system.

Sorry this didn't help.

Once again I get my vision checked regualrly and if you read the posts you would notice 20/20 vision and as the other posters in this thread said which is obvious if we haven't changed anything to our setups and only the update changed and I can still play PS3 just fine and watch tv and any thing else than how can you use such an excuse.  That doesn't help anybody by telling them because of our new system update your going to need to get your eyes checked by your doctor but because the PS3 and nothing else causes you still any problems before and after the update then obviously it's your cables or your vision which never changed.  This makes absolutely no sense to me as I am ex military and let me tell you then and still now my vision is 20/20 and I always get my checkups regulary and I don't need you or anybody else trying to play doctor telling me I have vision issues this is getting to be ridcoulous.  I have over 30 hdmi cables all brands and versions which would you like me to try hdmi 1.1, 1.2, 1.2a, 1.2b, 1.3, 1.3b 1.4 etc..  Or how about televisions Plasmas, LCD or brands I got them al l too how about Samsung,  Pansonic, LG etc.. Or a certain brand hdmi because I got all those too microsoft official hdmi, monoprice, monster cable 299$, etc..  Are you telling us that coincidnetaly this all happened to all of us and this includes other posters and my friends the same day the update came out on the exact same minute and day the update came out an that we all changed something to our setups that same day and minute, and its' not the obvious system update on the exact same day we all start getting motion sickness, come on now that's just absurd.  Read the posts talk to your development team and give them the information and then get it patched because something definitely changed.  And for your information one last time and for everybody who has posted and comes to read this forum who failed to read the previous posts video games cause simulation sickness a form of motion sickness which is not a vision issue so if your not a doctor I would advise that you not give medical advice and tell people to go see an eye doctor when it's caused by the way the brain percieves a image through sight and and the inner ear and the brain can't  line it up right or if you want the literal translation: it is a condition in which a disagreement exists between visually perceived movement and the vestibular system's sense of movement. For those who don't know what vestibular means that's your ear not your eyes so please post something helpful and stop posting useless information we all would apprciate this problem to be addressed with a patch not blaming all of us or using some excuse such as it's all your hdmi cords or it's your setup's, that's just bad customer service.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey guys! As far as I know there were no graphical components to our recent update. I would suggest trying different video setups (TVs, positions, cables, etc.). If you continue experiencing motion sickness or other possible eye problems, I would advise a check-up with your eye doctor. Thank you!

Sorry this didn't help.