System link help.

What do they mean that you need the same game version?

does it mean  if I buy one map pack for one XB360 I need to buy the same map pack for the other XB360 in order to play system link? 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 10 Applies to:

For system link play, all linked consoles must have the same game, game version, maps, and mission updates.

Unless you are linking the 360's directly to eachother (which means neither box would have internet) you would be using a router/switch to do this anyway and in that case both units could possibly have internet access . You only need internet access on both if both will be playing online but then that is not what System Link is for (System Link is for LAN gaming) . For both to play online at the same time you would also have to have 2 Gold Xbox LIVE accounts (one for each box) .

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

See this link for information regarding the requirements for system link play:

support.xbox.com/.../xbox-kb.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Dat Boy Lue"]What do they mean that you need the same game version?[/quote]Games receive Title Updates. When you start up a game and see the box that says there's an update available? Yeah, that's a Title Update.

The problem with Title Updates is that they are dynamically cached. Consoles with a HDD can cache more TUs than consoles with Memory Units, but play enough different games in a row and the oldest game's TU will be evicted to make way for the newest game's TU.

There is no sanctioned method of manually applying a Title Update. You have no way to retain, say, the last TU for Halo Reach.

The only way to be sure that a set of offline consoles all have the same game version is to clear all the system caches and use the same game disc version across all consoles. Clearing the cache deletes all the TUs, Using the same disc version ensures every console has the same version of a game.

[quote]does it mean  if I buy one map pack for one XB360 I need to buy the same map pack for the other XB360 in order to play system link?[/quote]If map packs differ and a game is set up to use maps that not everyone has, those lacking the map can't play. You may have extra map packs installed as long as you don't put the maps into rotation when playing with people that lack the maps.

Sorry this didn't help.