System Files Corrupted

Hello,

My system has been running fine, never had an issue with it up until now. It has to be because of these Halo 4 errors I keep recieving on brand new discs..

I bought halo 4 and all of the sudden I kept getting disc unreadable errors, I went through 3 discs via returns. I tried to install them multiple times, and it wasnt until the 10th time that the installation went all the way through. So finally it worked. No more Disc Unreadable errors. Then finally all the sudden I just randomly recieved a Disc Read Error on Halo 4 a couple of days ago. Which doesnt make sense considering it is installed, and I have already played it all the way through just fine, so there wasnt an error that time around, and its not even reading from the disc except to verify the license at start up.

So since I have been recieving that error, sometimes if I eject it and try again, it will start to work. Then it gets stuck on a big 4 logo in the middle of the screen, and will never change, completely frozen. I figured i would give it some time after waiting about 10 minutes. So I sat down the controller and let it sit for an hour almost and it was still froze. It wouldnt let me even pull up the menu using the center button on the controller. So it was indeed froze.

The only way to get out of that was to press the power button, sometimes only was able to turn it off by unplugging the power cable... Which i am sure is great help to cause the File Corruption of the System Files on my Xbox...

A few times it worked. Then it just quit working for good. The times it worked I was able to have it work by Removing the System Cache on the hard drive. But that doesn't fix it anymore.

So now I just gave up and tried playing other games. Sure enough nothing would work after I received that System Files Corrupted Error Message, and the System needed to be updated. (Which I did nearly 5 times..) I am able to play some games but not 90% of others.

The models of my Avatars will not render anymore, they are just a default transparent silohette now. So i know that this is indeed the issue..

Is there a way to do System Recovery of a Xbox Console? Could I somehow reset it back to factory settings and just reinstall the main system files to start fresh? I can with windows, seems like I should be able to as well on Xbox no?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just got a 12 Month Xbox Live subscription, I would really like to be able to actually use it...

Thanks for your time.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 251 Applies to:

Hey there Raccoon! I understand you're having some issues with disc read issues. Can you make sure that you have gone through our Xbox Disc Drive Solution to see what that has to say? If you've tried many discs and storage devices, you may need to set up a repair. You can learn about that process and get it started in our "How to get your Xbox product repaired" guide. Let us know how that goes, thanks!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

But why would it be a drive issue if it is only one specific game that gave me the disc unreadable error? Plus those "Disc Drive Solutions" only state to clean the disc for a disc unreadable error. But 3 discs were not working straight out of the package...

I have researched this issue quite substantially and have found that there is a pretty large group of people experiencing this issue with Halo 4. Not to mention that this has also happened in the past with both Halo Reach and Halo 3 at the beginning of their releases'. Even Xbox support themselves have stated that their have and is bad batches of Halo 3 and 4 discs.. I can provide sources to show what i mean.

Another disc I have borrowed from a friend worked. But that didn't help the System Corruption issue.

That is my main concern at this point. Isn't there a way I could just reset my console back to factory settings?

That always seems to be the answer "Send in for Repair"..

I could buy a brand new console with 250GB Hard Drive for only $30-$50 USD more than the repair costs unfortunately..

Tell ya what, this made me spend money on a PS3 instead of a repair or new console because it makes no sense.

A console shouldn't just stop working all of the sudden. My console has always been treated with the utmost respect, nurture, care, and cleanliness that there is no reason whatsoever this should just fail on me out of nowhere. Its a sad thing..

So that being said, can a lifelong Microsoft Customer on their own, restore a Microsoft Xbox 360 back to its original settings via any method at all?

Here is some more information I thought I should mention.

My Xbox 360 is the Slim Black version with the Internal Hard Drive.. (sorry I really need to learn this particular model)

It originally came with 4 Gigabytes of Internal Flash Memory.

I purchased an Official Microsoft 320 Gigabyte Internal Hard Drive for this system.

So the Hard Drive is aftermarket. I think this is also something that may be linked to the issue, as it would seem from some of my research.

Couldnt I just do a format of both the internal flash, and the internal hard drive, then is there another step to be able to reinstall / wipe / restore / or reset my Xbox 360 Console back to its original factory default settings.

All electronic devices have this option I dont understand why this is not an option in the settings..

Please some thoughts. I just hope that is not seriously the only option...

Sorry this didn't help.

Well ill tell you how it went..

Thanks for the support.

Impossible to get a spec of technical support from Microsoft.

Its a joke that the answer from you guys is always "You are going to have to send it in for Repairs"... Forget troubleshooting, just send it in, pay the same amount as a new console to fix an old one, just because we made our systems with Planned Obsolescence in mind.

Well the fix was as simple as someone (who has nothing to do with MS by the way) telling me how to uninstall a most recent system update using the key press pattern: Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X. This must be pressed in that order on the "Storage" Menu in the System Options.

Did that, my console deleted the System Update. Restarted. Was then asked to Update my console on start.

Sure enough the update pulled through, and I have a working console.

This is probably the same exact steps the repair team would of pursued first, and still would have charged $100 USD, considering its a ploy to pray on the simple minded folk.

As for the Disc. I just returned it again. Sure enough the new disc works fine.

I tested the old disc on another console before returning, gave the same error.

Not a drive issue. A bad batch of discs. Especially since I bought the disc from my work, and their has been over 50 returns since release day for the same issue.

Again, this has happened in the past, yet no one acknowledges it for some reason

Such a simple fix, that I am surprised someone from Xbox Support couldn't tell me that first thing..

Sorry this didn't help.

2 hours on the chat while searching on the web and your reset sequence saved the day.  Microsoft support, almost as bad as bell support

Sorry this didn't help.

im really sorry to hear this has happened to you, there is a more simple method of restarting your console to factory by going to settings, system, initial setup and that should reset to factory as well, I know not all official support agents are as helpful as others and as a sometimes frustrated Microsoft customer I feel for you. but I would like to say that I think you are putting to much emphasis on this being microsofts problem. everything you have said points me into believing that who ever is in charge of these halo series is having problems when it comes to creating the discs content. so really you should be "P"ed off at who ever is in charge over there in the halo department. sounds to me like they were rushing it out the door like most games and publishers and like many others got the short end of the stick for their blunders.

Sorry this didn't help.

"343 Industries, commonly shortened to 343i, or just 343, is an American video game developer located in Kirkland, Washington. It was established in 2007 by Microsoft Game Studios to oversee development of the Halo science fiction media franchise"

But really, the issue I have with this and many other things is, there is really no technical support. Its like the customers arent really allowed to tinker with the products we have purchased. Everything seems to be against the TOSa.

Sorry this didn't help.

i have had my xbox360 120 gb for 7 yrs. with only 1 repair...i baby it as it is my only vice now that i am older:) within the last 4 to 5 wks. it has slowed way down. First i checked my internet. nope, 49 mps. The only other things i can think of is maybe cpu damage somehow, or hd transfer rate is way down...takes 3 to 5 min to startup and 2 of those min to recognize the controller is there. even logining in takes 30 secs. it freezes at least 5 times a day and i just bought the diablo 3 and was able to play to level 9 then it froze everytime b4 i got 2 kill the skeleton king. Crazy cuz on demo i killed him 5 times over, go figure. Now i cant play ANY game except the new WSOP Beta and it still takes way to long to load answer messages or go to the store and freezes at all times of the day. Just wondering if it could be something i did...i am not new to gaming but mistakes can happen, or does anyone know anything i can try.  no yellow circles, no error codes, all updates are needed are there, did all the normal stuff. i.e. clear cache ect....please help if u can. i will just about try anything...thanks for reading. Gamertag-All KnightR

Sorry this didn't help.