Switching your router off.

I've been reading up on some arcticles about weather you should switch your router off at night or not.

The reason I started reading these is because I switch my Router+Modem off on the evening and when I start it back up the next day I am unable to join Xbox Live Parties. Does anyone else have this problem? Do you keep your router off or on?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I don't have any problems joining parties.  I switch the router off every night when i'm done.  Maybe it's a NAT issue if you're unable to join xbox live parties.

Leave ours on all the time. Reboot it maybe once every two or three months.

my advice is keep it on 24/7..if you continually switch it on and off..the router will think there is something wrong with the line as the connection keeps dropping off..this could lead to your speed being capped at the exchange as it will seem to the router/Bt etc that there is a fault because of the disconnections..if that makes sense??!

I turn mine off about once a week to give it a rest. Damn thing gets hot enough to fry an egg at times.

I leave mine on all the time.

I only reboot it when I'm having NAT problems.

My NAT is always open. When I do switch it back on the next day I got to switch it off and on about another 5 times for myself to be able to join parties again...

As someone who has a fair bit of knowledge about how broadband works I can agree with others In this thread, Its best to leave the router on 24/7 as keeping on turning It off every evening will trigger DLM Into thinking your line has a problem and so will give you slower speeds to stabilize the line. If you must turn It off at least turn It off by going Into the router Interface first then switch It off at the switch ( If your router has one ) before unplugging the mains, This tends to let DLM know that you are turning It off yourself manually.

If you have a Dynamic IP, if you keep on resetting you IP. I can see why you are getting problems.

[quote user="WorstedOrphan"]

If you have a Dynamic IP, if you keep on resetting you IP. I can see why you are getting problems.

[/quote]

Do you even have the faintest clue of what a dynamic ip is?

Static IP here, I have turned my router off every night since routers and the Internet where invented, no issues and rock solid 15MB download, 1.5MB up from O2.