Switching gamertag to new Microsoft account

I haven't owned a 360 since 2010 and since then I have made a new Microsoft account to use in Windows 8. I was wondering how I switch my old gamertag to my new account. Any instructions I have found require me to go into my settings on my 360, which I don't have.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

You cant really switch it. Ive tried. You have to change the gamertag you want to something else then change your new accounts gamertag to that. Which will cost you 1600 ms points or $20. Hope this helped. Im trying to become a xbox ambassador lol. To do this go to xbox.com and login. Then go to manage account or click on your profile picture. Once there go to change gamertag. Hope this helped :)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You can switch the Microsoft Account (MSA) between the two gamertags. It requires the console and both profiles. Right now the site seems not to be working for me but if you search "Change Microsoft Account" in Support you'll get the instructions on how to do so. If you want to associate your old gamertag with your new WIndows Phone you'll need that MSA & password. Unfortunately I think you have to reset the phone to factory defaults, which would wipe everything back to nothing. You have to set it up with the MSA from the original gamertag. Then on the console you can do the steps for changing the MSA to the gamertag.

I AM NOT A MICROSOFT EMPLOYEE NOR FORUM MODERATOR. However I do know a lot about acct recovery.

Sorry this didn't help.

If its the account then yes you can but the gamertag for xbox live you have to change with ms points

Sorry this didn't help.