swapping 360's

Hi

I have an old fat 360, but the sound has gone and it has difficulty reading discs.

I am buying a 250g slim and wondered what things I need to do before getting rid of my old fat.

Do I need to delete gamer tags and can I just re-download them onto my new xbox. I am saving my game saves to cloud storage, so can I re-download these onto my new xbox from the cloud?

I will make a list of all 'my games' and redownload these.

These are the only things that I have thought of, is there anything else I should do?

thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

Sounds like you are on the right track. If you have a USB drive available, that would make transferring your games and gamertag much easier (with no need to redownload you tag). Instructions on how to use one with your Xbox can be found here (just make sure it's a new one or has no data you wish to keep as it will be reformatted to work with the console): support.xbox.com/.../usb-flash-drive

The other thing you will want to do is transfer the licenses of your digital downloads (DLC, arcade games, etc.). This page tells you how to do that: support.xbox.com/.../download-content

Enjoy your new, and quieter, console!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I just realized I didn't answer your questions along with the info I posted. For your gamertag, you will need to delete it (profile only, make sure you pick that option) after you redownload it to the new console (unless you move it with a USB). As for your saves, you can use the cloud if you are a Gold member, but there is limited space (512 mb?) so you may have to do it multiple times, which is why I recommend a USB.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can get a Hard Drive Transfer cable and use it to transfer everything from the old hard drive, to the new one. They cost $19.99 new, or you can possible find one used at a game store near you. Using a USB thumb drive to transfer files won't always work, as some games lock files to the hard drive, as well as some games (Forza for example). Not to mention, depending on how much is on your hard drive, it can take a a long time and be very tedious.

You can find the hard drive transfer cable here: www.xbox.com/.../Xbox-360-Hard-Drive-Transfer-Cable or at a local retail store.

You will definitely be able to get your game saves from the cloud storage on your new Xbox 360, so long as they are not locked to your current Xbox 360.

Also, you won't have to delete all the files on you're Xbox 360 hard drive when you're done transferring them. You can format the hard drive in the settings, and if I remember correctly, when you use a hard drive transfer cable, the old hard drive gets formatted anyway.

For information on the transfer cable, you can check here: support.xbox.com/.../set-up-transfer-cable

And to format a hard drive, thumb drive, or memory card, here's how: support.microsoft.com/.../906502

Hope that helps and answers your questions.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there, ps2wii360. Do you still need assistance? Definitely let us know if you do! We'd be more than happy to assist you further so keep us posted. :)

Sorry this didn't help.