Suspended! Prepaid a year but MS wants me to buy a month at full price

So, I maxed out my cards due to an emergency and had to buy a prepaid card to pay for my Gold Subscription.

My account was due on 5/20. they tried the card, it declined (see above).

I purchase and redeem the 12mo prepaid card first thing on the morning of 5/20.

Today I get a message my account is suspended.

I call customer service, they say even though I prepaid a year, I must purchase one additional month first because I redeemed it the day my account was due.

My cards will be maxed for the next few months so I cannot pay the $9.99 (and don't have Visa debit just ATM another story)

The rep talked to his manager and said they cannot refund my prepaid not allow me to use it. So I'm stuck with no way to get what I paid for. WTF is this?

I thought it would be apparent that since the payment declined, the pre-paid card I used on the due date should have covered this month.

I am so pissed, I feel ripped off, on top of that I have all these new games I got during a great sale, with great multiplayer support, but cannot play.

Ugh.

Just wanted to vent, I already spoke to CS, there's nothing that can be done, hopefully I'll be able to play in a few months.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 164 Applies to:

Pre paid cards don't cover auto renewal payments and you can't use them to pay off any arrears you have.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi there.

As stated above, you cannot use a pre-paid Gold card subscription to "pay off" an outstanding balance against your account, it can only be done with a valid credit/debit card. Once you have some money on the card linked to your account visit www.billing.microsoft.com, sign in and you should then be able to resolve the outstanding balance.

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn't have auto renewal on (and my profile stated it was off) although the rep told me even though my account said it even though it said OFF, I had to call and verify that (I've seen nothing anywhere that told me that) wth does that mean.

Was I supposed to call Microsoft and verify all my settings as they appeared on the XBox and online profile? Even though I had no reason to suspect my auto renewal was on?

So with auto renewal off and paying with the prepaid card the day my service expired, I'm in the wrong and have lost the money I paid for the card if I don't straighten out my credit cards? Like I said, it will be months before I recover from the financial damage that occurred in May.

Why not tell your customers this, it would have made it easier and I wouldn't have wasted the $60 on a worthless prepaid card.

Sorry this didn't help.

So basically, even though I had no balance (they want me to pre pay for a month I didn't receive) and if for some reason I can't pay off my credit cards in the next few months, I'm screwed.

Thanks Microsoft for making a product that lies (tells me auto renew is off when it wasn't) and holding my money hostage while making me pay for a service I didn't receive. (My account expired ON 5/20 which is why I renewed it with the card, who knew that even though paying on the date it's due it's already considered "in arrears".

Sorry this didn't help.

Like we said you can't use pre paid cards to pay off an auto renewal payment.

Mores to the point - http://support.xbox.com/en-gb/pages/xbox-live/how-to/xbox-live-account-management/default.aspx -

Sorry this didn't help.

I get that. The point was it wasn't supposed to be auto renewed, it was off so I could let the month expire and get the 12 month card. Now, had I not paid the month then later on attempted to pay the month with the card I could see where your coming from but that's not the case. It was supposed to expire on 5/20, so on 5/20 I paid with the card expecting it to renew since obviously it wasn't because A)The other card was maxed and B)I expected it to expire because AUTO RENEWAL WAS TURNED OFF.

Sorry this didn't help.

Here's something to try -

Call the support line again and explain that you wish to cancel the subscription service on your account, explain to them that you will be unable to resolve the outstanding balance due to a lack of money for "said" period. They should be able to remove the charge against you as you do not wish to continue on that subscription service. Once it's removed make sure they do not suspend your account completely from redeeming Gold time via the subscription cards.

Either provide the code to the support rep to enter onto your account, or enter the code after you finish the call. This is of course if you still haven't used the pre-paid Gold subscription card you purchased.

Sorry this didn't help.

I can try again I guess, the problem is my service was supposed to expire in May as my Auto Renew was turned off (and it said so on the website and on my XBox that it was off), I knew the amount of money I put on my card for another transaction would cause it to go way over the limit, so I bought and redeemed a 12 mo prepaid card so that I could continue accessing XBox Live. Again, my account stated it would expire on 5/20.

They accepted the card and I went on playing, until today. Now I havent played in a couple of days so I don't know how long it's been suspended but it is.

When contacting them, they stated that since their system tried to auto renew anyway (even with the setting to OFF and calling them about it), they MUST recieve payment, even though I thought it was cancelled (which again is why I bought a 12 month card).

I don't know why people assume I had a balance (this was the exact same day my service expired THE EXACT SAME DAY, I OWED MS NOTHING AS I PREPAID UNTIL 5/20 THEREFORE I HAD NO OUTSTANDING BALANCE AND WAS NOT ATTEMPTING TO PAY AN OUTSTANDING BALANCE WITH THE PREPAID CARD.

(In caps because that's not getting through)

Now they acknowledge the service was not on auto-renew, but since the system didn't catch it, I'm out of luck.

Now they have my money (from the prepayment of a year of service) but have suspending my account until I pay my credit card off and am able to pay full price for a month of service I neither ordered or received.

No refund for my 1 YEAR of Prepayment (until 5/2012) and I am no longer allowed to play.

They basically took my prepaid card, kept it, and holding it hostage until I prepay for a full month at full price (again, I don't owe this money because it is a PREPAYMENT).

But everyone here seems to accept this, which shocks me, but I guess people are used to be screwed over so much it doesn't matter any more.

Oh well, fun while it lasted, anyone want to buy a 360 with most of the top 10 games of this year (LA Noire, Portal 2, COD, Mortal Kombat, etc) without Gold their worthless after you finish single player.

Sorry this didn't help.

I think a better idea would be just go to a place like CVS and get a prepaid Visa card and put the money on it you need to get the one month. You have to get the special card that works for online purchases and you need to register it online. The one I used was Green Dot and it cost like $6 to put the money on the card but worked just fine after registering it for online purchases. I had to get one when I needed to renew my account after canceling my card cuz the PSN.

After you get it paid you will be able to use your 12 month subscription again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wait, let's go back and check for logic errors.

How did you turn off renewal?

Sorry this didn't help.