Sudden loss of Internet Connectivity - ICMP responses message

This setup worked fine with both wired and WiFi connections, a dynamic IP address, OpenDNS DNS servers, and no ports forwarded for Xbox purposes for over three years. Suddenly, on Feb-15, the Xbox would no longer connect to the Internet. Running the connection test results in the following message, “Your console is not receiving ICMP responses properly from your router or modem.” I have up to 20 different other devices; PCs, laptops, TVs, PS3s, Android phones, Android tablets, iPod Touches, a Motorola 7131AP, a Wii, and a Netgear GS108T switch all hooked up an accessing the Internet with no issue. Directly below is the standard information from the sticky post:

What Country/State/Province do you live in? USA/NY
Modem brand & model number: 
Scientific Atlanta (Cisco) DCP2203C
Router brand & model number: 
Netgear RP114 with latest firmware
If Wireless, are you using a white or black external adapter, or an internal (Xbox 360S) adapter?
No
Things you have tried: 

• Successful bandwidth tests on wired PC, PS3, and wireless devices
  • Successful ping to the router (ICMP) from wired and wireless devices
  • Successful ping to the modem (ICMP) from wired and wireless devices
  • Successful ping to the switch (ICMP) from wired and wireless devices
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the switch to the router to the modem with dynamic IP
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the switch to the router to the modem with static IP
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the switch to the router to the modem with static IP and Xbox ports forwarded
  • Failed Xbox test on WiFi connection to AP to the switch to router to the modem with dynamic IP
  • Failed Xbox test on WiFi connection to AP to the switch to the router to the modem with static IP
  • Failed Xbox test on WiFi connection to AP to the switch to the router to the modem with static IP and Xbox ports forwarded
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the router to the modem with dynamic IP
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the router to the modem with static IP
  • Failed Xbox test on wired connection to the router to the modem with static IP and Xbox ports forwarded
  • Successful Xbox test on wired connection to the modem with dynamic IP
  • Ran WireShark in promiscuous mode on a PC and the Xbox both wired (ports forwarded and not forwarded) to the router and captured no packet retransmissions or ICMP errors during the Xbox connectivity test. I did see connection resets from the Xbox to the router. I’m not sure if that’s normal since the connection test steps are unknown to me.

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/no/Unknown:
This router thankfully doesn’t support the security flawed UPnP protocol
Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT?
No NAT error
Any Error Codes you encounter: 
Yesterday, the Xbox prompted that there was an update. The download process produced an error that I didn’t record. I downloaded the update by connecting directly to the modem.
Who is your ISP(Internet Service Provider)? 
Cablevision
After you run "Test Xbox LIVE connection" press “Y” for "More Info”. In the pop-up that appears, what are the following values, if shown? (If a value below does not appear for you, just leave it blank.)
W:
X:
Y:
Z:
ID:
L:
Q:
T:
D:
S:
C:

I am pretty computer and network literate. I can post the WireShark log or look for something specific in it if that would be of help. I realize you will want say something about the router not being compatible. The problems I have with that theory are that it worked fine for years; all other devices work just fine; there are no detectable ICMP problems while observing network traffic with WireShark. Any ideas?

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I forgot to mention, I also change the DNS configuration to other well known DNS servers and of course that didn't change anything either.

I've noticed a number of other posts with the same issue with the same or related routers. I'm beginning to hone in on those connection resets. I plan to rerun the test and closely examine the contents of the packets leading up to those resets tonight. I also believe whatever is causing this is due to non-standard behavior on the part of the XBox and it was something that recently changed in the XBox software.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Ok - it's now fixed. The affected routers are ZyNOS based. This includes the Netgear RP114 & RT314 models. There are other models based on this OS so if you're having this issue, Google your model and ZyNOS and/or Zyxel to see if your model is among them. You have to implement a workaround in the router for some funny business being pulled off by the Xbox. You will have to telnet to the router's management console as this is not supported in the web GUI. The manual covers how to do this.

On Win7, you will likely either have to configure telnet to be available:

social.technet.microsoft.com/.../910.how-to-enable-telnet-client-in-windows-7.aspx

Or use something like Putty:

sourceforge.net/.../putty.mirror

The workaround filters out the bogus Xbox packets. I have no port forwarding in my router (never have actually).

You can find the process here:

secure.dslreports.com/.../r5083984-XBOX-Live-and-ZyNOS

and here at the top of the page under “RP114 XBox Live Work Around”

www.apritch.myby.co.uk/xbox.htm

Good luck!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well done Player one good find, it looks like (for some) this has been a problem for a while but only become more of a problem since the update, it does look like a specific problem with that the router though but great to have a fix.

Great stuff :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Shad0wmanUK - I'm glad I was able to contribute. It's important to note that this effects a number our routers. Those that I now know about are: Netgear MR324, RP114, RP334, RT311, RT314, RO318; ZyXEL P310, P312, P314. I also failed to mention, for cable modems, only the Ethernet WAN encapsulation filter should be required.

Finally, I found this site that has some screen shots of what to expect when adding the filters:

www.practicallynetworked.com/.../netgear_zyxel_filtermod.htm

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi there Shad0manUK, maybe you remember me from last week, when you tried to help me out getting back on LIVE. So, I tried the solution for the Netgear RP114 as I have this router (which worked with LIVE for the past 5 years without any problems until my 360 stopped connecting to the internet last week), but up until now I had no luck. And I have a quick question to the process:

Step 14 on www.apritch.myby.co.uk/xbox.htm says "then set both device filter to 4". In my settings, there are 3 device filters, so which are the ones that need to be assigned to 4?

Menu 11.5 - Remote Node Filter

Input Filter Sets:

protocol filters=

device filters=

Output Filter Sets:

protocol filters=

device filters=

Call Filter Sets:

protocol filters=

device filters=

The first solution on dslreports says to assign 4 to the Input Filter sets and the solution for the RP114 on apritch says "then set both device filter to 4". So: What shoulkd I do? For what it's worth, the protocol filters on the Output and Call Filter Sets were assigned to 1. I have no idea what to do right now.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Well I'm afraid I don't know much about the solution but looking at it I would assign it to the Input filter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Got it! Needed to configure the settings for PPPoE, on the apritch-website the settings are for connections without PPPoE.

@Player696[...]: Thank you very much for your research, I googled myself but did not find these websites. Now I am logged in to LIVE right now. I hope it stays this way! That were almost 2 weeks without being able to go online with my 360, now I really hope that it will stay this way. Thank you!

@Shad0wmanUK: I applied the settings to all the device filters, it seems to work :)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@adamma666 You need only apply it to the input filter set. It will save router CPU cycles and reduce the potential for unintended consequences if you restrict it this way. I strongly suggest not applying it beyond the input filter set. As far as finding the information, I was able to qualify my searches based on the network traffic I analyzed. I'm also looking at potentially building a more precise filter that will act only on the IP address of the XBox. vs. the generic filter provided. That will minimize the router CPU cycles required and eliminate the unintended impacts, which are frankly already likely to be unnoticeable to most.  

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hm, I can't revert back to apply it only to the Input Filter Set, as I get an error message when deleting the numbers: "Protocol filter rule can't be applied to device filter". It won't save any changed settings due to that. Oh well, it seems to work now, so I guess I will go with it as is. Thanks again for your help!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

To try to give this problem/fix more visibility I've added it my site here www.unofficialguidetolive.co.uk/.../231-netgear-rp114-rt314-icmp-error-zynos-routers

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 3, 2024 Views 45 Applies to: