Stupid auto-renewal setting on Gold membership

I want to express my extreme irritation with the current system of buying xbox live membership.  I decided to buy 1 month of Gold membership for the time that I was on holiday from University.  I then returned to Uni, and came back home after term had finished to find that Microsoft had charged me 3x as much for 3 months of Xbox live which I had not asked for, nor had any ability to use as my Xbox is left at home. 

At no point did I agree to buy 3 months of xbox live.  I signed up and paid for 1 month.  Why would I choose to pay 3 individual payments of 5.99 when a 3 month package is significantly less?  Microsoft cannot reasonably have assumed that I wanted to renew my membership each month, because I would have to be the most stupid person in the world to decide to pay twice the price for the same amount of xbox live, most of which I would not be able to use.  Worst of all, I was never given any indication that Microsoft would be taking my money every month; it wasnt even on my bank statement as it does not appear as a direct debit. 

Furthermore, I was at no point given an option to turn auto-renewal off.  I had to ring an 0800 number from my mobile phone (as obviously I dont have a landline at Uni), which is a completely unnecessary cost.  Would it be so difficult for Microsoft to offer the option to turn auto-renewal off either online or when you pay for Gold membership? 

Essentially, I think that the current system is unfair and unclear.  I dont suppose that Microsoft will be in a hurry to change it though - they did manage to steal 3x as much money from me as I was intending to give them.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 827 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Please contact the billing team regarding this issue. The billing team will be able to look into this issue further for you. 800-4MY-XBOX . Please let us know if we can be of further assistance.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

In response to brutLninja, I tried calling that number to resolve a similar auto-renewal issue. Unfortunately since XBox Live for some reason decided not to charge my card until more than 30 days after what they said the 'billing date' was, calling within 3 days as soon as I saw it on my account apparently was no good.

Asking to speak to a manager or get an email to contact them from that phone number was denied repeatedly, and the only option they provided for offering feedback on the service was to post on the forums here and to submit a feedback email from the contact section.

Normally I'm an XBox fan, but this experience with them has been absolutely ridiculous. The automatic renewal should be something you have to select instead of an obligatory option that you have to call and jump through hoops for especially when their own reps even say you should be able to do it online but the feature is broken.

I've also submitted feedback through their webform, but don't imagine much of any resolution will come of it.

Sorry this didn't help.

My mom payed for 1 gold month, and microsoft have been drawing money from the card once a month.

why ?

now i try to cancel the subscription, but it won't work.

the phone dosn't answer either.

cancel my subscription !

Sorry this didn't help.

cancelling auto renewal which you agreed to when you bought that subscription via the 360 (if you would have bought it from a LIVE card sold in stores it would not have) can ONLY be done by calling support in your region and selecting billing, nobody here can cancel it for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

you have to call to cancel this is in the terms of use

if you click your region and then select support that will give you the support hours and if you click contact us

that will give you the number for your region

as long as you do not call during peak time it is a short 5min call

3-11pm when everyone including their mother calls

support cannot garentee that autorenewal button off is on the site

due to 1 reason

first and foremost

it is only available to 3 US states and no other region

2nd OP

if you had changed your monthly plan before the renewal period then you can sign up for the 3month it is UPTO the customer to notify the company to change the rate plan this includes ALL providers of services

thats like you saying i want unlimited nights after 1month you had used over 500 mins over your limit

you are not credited for the 500mins for a change after the fact

Sorry this didn't help.

Xbox live has been running this scam for ages. I have had so many billing problems it is not even funny. When my credit card was active, I entered a 12 month code only to have it credited to the year after next and none of the bozos in billing could help. Luckily for them, I am an xbox fanboy and stayed for the next two years. I removed the credit card from the profile and have stopped buying anything on live due to this crappy policy of theirs.

Sorry this didn't help.

It is not a scam. MS tells everyone exactly what will happen if the use a credit/debit card to pay for a subscription. Just because you didn't read the XBL Terms of Service doesn't mean it doesn't apply.

6.2.  Payment.  When you create a billing account, you enter your payment method.  You must be authorized to use the payment method.  You authorize us to charge you for the Service and for any paid feature of the Service that you or the user of any associated account choose to use while this contract is in force using your payment method.  We may bill (a) in advance; (b) at the time of purchase; (c) shortly after purchase; or (d) on a recurring basis for subscription services.  Also, we may charge you up to the amount you have approved. See Section 6.5 below for information regarding price changes.  We may bill simultaneously for more than one of your prior billing periods.  Once we have informed you that the Service will be provided indefinitely or automatically renewed, we may automatically renew your Service and charge you for any renewal term in accordance with the subscription offer terms we present to you prior to your payment for the Service which terms may be updated upon written notice (including email) to you.  In some cases, you may have the option to create or renew a subscription with a prepaid card instead of your payment method.  Your Service may be cancelled at the end of your subscription term if you do not have a billing account or have not elected to auto-renew your subscription with a charge to your payment method, or you have not entered a prepaid card for purposes of renewing your Service.  If you sign up for an Xbox LIVE Gold Membership or other Xbox LIVE paid subscription using a prepaid card, your subscription will continue but will downgrade to a free Xbox LIVE membership at the end of your pre-purchase paid membership period, regardless of whether you have a billing account.  To maintain your paid membership, you must set your account to automatically renew with a charge to your payment method, or you must enter a new prepaid card.

Sorry this didn't help.

If I enter a code in 2007, it should accept that as a payment for 2008 not frigging 2009 and then charge my credit card a couple of days later for 2008 membership. It may be listed in the Terms of Service, but it is a morally questionable practice like a lot of products on tv like free credit reports and such. Then again, we are talking about Microsoft which is not exactly a role model, is it?

Sorry this didn't help.

6.3.  Updates to Your Billing Account.  You must keep all information in your billing account current.  You can access and modify your billing account via the “Account Management” section of the Xbox Dashboard or at https://billing.microsoft.com.  You may change your payment method at any time.  If you tell us to stop using your payment method and we no longer receive payment from you for the Service, we may cancel your Service.  Your notice to us will not affect charges we submit to your billing account before we reasonably could act on your request. Accounts cancelled for non-payment may be blocked from reactivation.

Sorry this didn't help.

microsoft should just take out auto renewal all together. its not like people would want to renew every month of their lives! lets say for example: person buys xbox live for one month because of his break from whatever, but after that break he has to go back to do whatever he has to do and has no time for xbox so he sells it. he could save those "5 or so minutes" being on the phone with someone that probably wont even help than doing something more productive with what he has already planned. what im tryin to say is not everyone wants to stay with xbox live and if they did they would just go and renew their subscription by them selves without the help of an auto renewal system. it just seems microsoft  just like taking money from people the easy way; "automatically"

this just makes me like the PSN that much more now.

Sorry this didn't help.