Stuck on a black screen after green start-up screen. Not like other black screen problems on this forum!

So basically my Xbox One will not progress from the green start-up screen. It makes it to that point, loads for about 10 or 15 seconds, then goes to a black screen. If I just turn the Xbox off normally, then back on later, it will go straight to the black screen. If I do a complete shutdown (holding the xbox button on the console) and then turn it back on, it goes to the green start-up screen, then back to the black screen. I've exhausted all resources and troubleshooting tips. I have done the soft and hard reset, turning off for 5 and 10 seconds, I've tried turning it on in low resolution, I've tried to turn it on with the eject button only (with no game inside). I've switched inputs, HDMI cables, and TVs. I have tried to leave it unplugged for a couple of hours and tried it again. I have left the black screen on for a couple hours. I've left the console plugged in but not turned on four a couple of hours. I've literally tried everything.

I think the problem might have been that it froze up or something, because I came back home one day from being gone for a couple of hours, and it was still on (normally the Xbox One shuts itself down after a while). I didn't think anything of it and turned it off. I don't know if it was frozen or not because I didn't try to play when I saw it, I just turned it off.

I would prefer to have my Xbox working again and not receive a new one because of time and other things, but unfortunately I feel as though that is my only option.But I would prefer to have it repaired. All the other people with black screen problems on these forums have to do with initial start-up or a system update. My Xbox One was up to date(unless there was a Xbox update on the 14th or 13th of June. I play daily so I doubt it.) so I really don't know what the issue is.

Also, if I were to receive a new Xbox One, does all the data transfer over by Xbox Live account? Or would I lose a lot of stuff. Because I don't want to lose my data. 

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want to be as detailed and descriptive as possible to limit the time and effort for both parties. Thank you.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 788 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I am having the exact same issue. And after reaching out to an Xbox Ambassador, he simply disconnected the chat after asking for help after trying all the options the OP listed.

My Xbox One is a Day One edition, and is no longer under warranty So I'm going to be more than upset if I have to pay for repairs, or pay for a new console after amassing a games library of over 30 titles for the One. Think I've spent enough money on this generation of platform (not to mention the over 100 titles I've bought for the 360 after going through 4 consoles in that generation)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Same problem, same everything. Had the original Xbox not a single problem. Xbox 360 Red Ring twice, I still have my 3rd one but it barley works and only if you leave the same game in it. Don't try to take it out! I have been an Xbox Live member for over 10 years. It already spent who knows how much on my day 1 edition. Here we go right on time, just after my warranty expires Green Screen of Death. I can't stand Sony but I don't hear any one having to buy a new one every year and half. I can't belief that my Xbox One is already a paper weight after that entire 360 debacle, that's just amazing. I've tried everything that doesn't require me to send it to them along with MORE of my money to fix this piece of garbage. If it lasts barely a year when brand new how long is it going to last as a repaired Xbox? And why are they being so quite about it? No mention of it during E3?

Sorry this didn't help.

I got this today aswell does anyone know how to fix it

Sorry this didn't help.

If you search for offline diagnostic tool they have a couple of fixes but so far the only people I've seen it work for are when people first bought them back in the beginning when people couldn't get their Xbox to update. All I know is that in the last 2 weeks it's been happening out of the Blue to a lot of people and if their fix doesn't work, good luck with that please post back if it does, if it doesn't they want you to send it for a repair which of course you have to pay for.

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't get me wrong I use the microphone on my connect to control my TV all the time. But I literally never have had to use he camera, and other then that it's totally useless. So here's my current opinion. I bought a day one edition straight from MS, paid extra for a Kinect that does almost nothing, and as soon as everyone's warranty runs out you get this Green Screen of Death. If I would've known all of that I would never have bought one. I'm still stunned that they made a bunch of failing Xbox's again after the Red Ring of Death. My blind faith and trust in Xbox has been totally shattered. They continue to just make poor decisions. When the system came out and they decided it had to be online (didn't bother me) all the time and you can't resell your games etc. Then they wait until the PS4 buries them in sales before coming to the conclusion "maybe forcing people to buy this worthless Kinect isn't such a great idea". Who are the people calling the shots over there? Any teenager could have told you all of that was a bad idea.

Sorry this didn't help.

To Jogging Zombies and others who have this issue. I just resolved mine by running the offline diagnostic tool. The version that resets your Xbox One to factory default. I'll post the link below.

Thanks to MaV 40 for the suggestion. Cheers mate.

support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Remember to download the version for Resetting to factory default settings.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah I tried that with no luck. I might add that the only people it's worked for are from outside the U.S. I could be totally wrong but that's what I've seen so far. My USB does not power until 4-5 minutes of GSOD which of course is way to late to do anything. I have a day one edition and I'm wondering if this problem which has emerged in the last few weeks to lots of people. I wonder if it's all day one editions?

Sorry this didn't help.

Don't think it would be a US problem. I'm in Canada, and we're on the same server cluster as the US and the factory reset worked like a charm. May be give it another go?

I made extra sure to Hold power for 5 seconds to shut down,

unplugged the AC for over a minute,

plugged it back in,

plugged in the NTFS formatted USB drive with the downloaded "resetter",

held sync and eject at the same time, waiting for the 2 start up chimes,

then after the xbox started to boot, I let go and unplugged the usb and let the xbox do it's thing. worked on the first go.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm having this problem as well. Just now I tried everything that each one of you just said. My XBox One does start up at the green menu but once done, it does not go to the home menu like it normally does. It's June 16th 2015 and I got this XBox One last year in July. We need solutions. What should I do? I do have a warranty and I have the receipt for my XB1.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you have a warranty then your all set. First register your Xbox one on the website and then get ahold of a customer service rep. I always do chat from a computer it's 10 times faster. Then will send you an order confirmation via e/mail with directions and you'll have to send it to Texas. You can put down a $500 deposit on a credit card and they'll send you one in 3 days which you just keep and download your stuff from the cloud and your all set. The rest of us with no warranty have to shell out more moola yet again because they haven't been able to make a system since the first one that can last more than 2 years, what's really sad is how familiar I am with the process been through it so many times.

Sorry this didn't help.