Strict Nat problems

What Country/State/Province do you live in?  

United States/Indiana

Modem brand & model number:  

None, it's just a power supply box for a radio antenna.  My internet provider is a WISP.

Router brand & model number:  (3) Asus RT-N66U routers.  

The first one is set up as a router and the other two are in access point mode.

How many Xbox 360 and Xbox One consoles are connected to this router?:  

The cat6 from the power supply is going into the WAN port on the first router and then out to the second router with a cat6 cable through one of the LAN ports.  The second router has one cat6 cable going to a 5 port switch and one cat6 going to the third router.  The 5 port switch has five cat6 cables going to a TV, audio receiver, Xbox 360, Xbox one and another 5 port switch with the same setup.  

Wired or Wireless (for each console): Things you have tried:  

I've tried wired and would like to keep it wired if possible.  I've tried port forwarding, DMZ, port forwarding and DMZ, cycling the UPnP, the bumpers and triggers trick, power saving mode and taking off the router's firewall.  After all that I decided to do a factory reset on all three routers and then set them up again.  That didn't  work so I moved my games to an external hard drive and did a factory reset on the Xbox one.  I also unplugged all the routers and hooked the antenna power supply cat6 cable into a 5 port switch.  I ran that into another 5 port switch and hooked that into the switch behind my tv.  From there I ran it into the Xbox one(3 switches between the Xbox and the internet).  That didn't fix the Nat issue either.   After that I called my ISP and asked them about a possible double Nat issue.  They assured me that the public address that they assigned me runs straight through them with no Nat on their end.  I noticed on one of posts that you are supposed to read before you post anything that you can check if you have a double Nat.  I checked my WAN IP address on my main router and it was 10.XXX.X and so on.  From what I've gathered so far that's a private address and not public one.  However, if I Goggle my IP it is not the same as the WAN IP on my router.  According to the post I read, that indicates a double Nat.  Does that sound right to you guys?  If so, what should I do?

Is UPnP Enabled? Yes/No/Unknown:

Enabled, although I tried taking it off for testing purposes.

Do you have a NAT error? If so, what is your NAT type?:

Strict, always strict.

Any Error Codes you encounter: 

When I try hold down the bumpers and triggers after the network test it has given me a 0X104004000000000 and a 0X1040000000000.  Not sure about the number of zeros at the end.

Who is your ISP? (Internet Service Provider):

Sit-co, it's a wireless provider.  Also, a big thank you to anyone who read this far.  I'm out of ideas, any help would be appreciated.  

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 35 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there MVP493!

Sorry to hear about the NAT issues.

It indeed sounds like you have a double NAT. But, I'm sure that we can work this out!

Would you be able to try a direct connection to the first router?

We'll be waiting for your answer =)

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey Brosky aP, thanks for replying.  Sure, I can set it up so the first router is run straight into the Xbox One.  I won't be able to start on it until I get home from work, so it will probably be late this evening before I get it all setup.  Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings MVP!

Regarding your situation, there's nothing to be done from your end, since the address provided from your service provider is actually a NAT'd address within their private IP realm of addresses.

[quote user="MVP493"]I checked my WAN IP address on my main router and it was 10.XXX.X and so on. From what I've gathered so far that's a private address and not public one[/quote]That's correct! This is a private class A network address, with a IP range of: 10.0.0.0 - 10.255.255.255

[quote user="MVP493"]However, if I Goggle my IP it is not the same as the WAN IP on my router.[/quote]This has to do with the fact that private IP addresses can't be routed to the Internet-at-large.

You'll have to discuss this with your service provider and what the options you might have to obtain a public IP address, instead of a NAT'd address. If they are able to provide you with a public IP option, make sure you're not in transit and being routed through a Proxy server within the providers IP realm. This will also have a negative impact, regarding your NAT's behaviour.

Sorry this didn't help.

The other two routers that you mentioned, are these two configured in such way that its decisions are based solely on the hardware addresses, or MAC addresses, and not functioning as IP routing?

Sorry this didn't help.

Let me add NAT to "IP routing", so it stands out correctly.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey taidara, thanks for the help.  I moved my Xbox One next to the first router and hooked it up direct(internet cat6 to WAN port out LAN to Xbox).  It still has a strict Nat and gives me the code 0x400000000000 when I do the bumper trigger thing.  As far as I know, access point mode shuts off the IP routing.  They just act to expand the LAN as well as the wireless network and let the first one do all the work.  Even if they were the problem, I could just run another line off the first router into another switch and bypass the line that feeds the next two routers, correct?  It's the fact that it is strict when it's plugged directly into the Xbox that really has me worried. Ok so when I call my ISP what should I say?  Can I read them your first post?  That seems to me that it has it pretty much nailed down.

Sorry this didn't help.

WISP have stuff on their side (due to the nature of the service) that could possibly be restrictive to Xbox Live connectivity. I have never seen one work personally, but seen some success with alt 4g services. If they have a IT dept, ask them if they've have success with gaming consoles( and specifically Xbox, because we like to be difficult :D ). ive seen this mainly with 360's(live connection errors) but since the Xbox one is definitely getting more popular it wouldn't surprise me. hopefully this will also help reach a resolution for the gaming community using WISP. Also* run the multiplayer test connection then hold both triggers and bumpers till you see a new screen and post the details here :) por favor

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I now have a static public IP at my router's WAN port(the same as the one I googled).  I unplugged and re plugged the router and fired up the Xbox One.  It's still strict, should it be open if it's hooked directly to the router?  I was hoping UPnP would take care of the problem but it doesn't look like it's going to be that easy.  I haven't tried port forwarding and all the stuff I tried last weekend as of yet.  I've trying to figure out the best way to get two Xbox's open together.  Can you port forward both?  Just list the seven ports for both of the Xbox's IP addresses?  It seems like a lot of guys are saying you can't but there has to be a way to do it.  Does anyone know if the UPnP of a Asus NT-N66U should work without DMZ or port forwarding for only one Xbox?

Sorry this didn't help.

I've been reading some more forum pages and I found this

www.reddit.com/.../how_to_use_multiple_xbox_one_consoles_in_a_network

The guy switched from his old router to my Asus RT-N66U in order to fix his Nat issue(using UPnP).  So I'm thinking that it should work when hooked up to my first router without any modifications.  Does this sound correct?  I'm currently trying a factory reset on that Xbox.  Thanks again.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I just finished trying everything I can think of.  The first thing I tried was port triggering using the following setup:

Port 88 (UDP)

Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)

Port 53 (UDP and TCP)

Port 80 (TCP)

Port 500 (UDP)

Port 3544 (UDP)

Port 4500 (UDP)

The result was still strict.  The next thing I tried was port forwarding with a static IP on the Xbox as shown in several Youtube videos.  The port forwarding setup I used was as follows:

Port 88 Both

Port 3074 Both

Port 53 Both

Port 80 Both

Port 500 Both

Port 3544 Both

Port 4500 Both

The result was a still strict NAT.  Lastly, I tried DMZ.  It also failed to open the Nat.  All of this was accomplished with Xbox plugged directly into the LAN port of the first router, so there is nothing in-between.  Any ideas?  

Sorry this didn't help.