Strict NAT over a wired connection?

So I just recently switched from a wireless to a wired connection (went from 3mb DL to 13mp DL) But for some reason my NAT is now strict. Shouldn't it be open if its a wired connection? I'm using a Uverse Motorola NVG510 router and have an Ethernet over powerline adapter that is running my internet to the Xbox. Any tips?

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 22 Applies to:

[quote user="CrystalBlueCook"]So I just recently switched from a wireless to a wired connection (went from 3mb DL to 13mp DL)[/quote]Were you using the NVG510 for the wireless connection, or did you change service providers and thus equipment?[quote]Shouldn't it be open if its a wired connection?[/quote]The type of physical connection should not have anything to do with NAT if both are configured in the same manner on the router.[quote]Any tips?[/quote]There's a whole bunch in the NVG510 forum.

Yes I was using the NVG before wirelessly. Had DMZ set up for my Xbox IP because that's the only way I could get an open NAT. Same provider as well. I tried turning DMZ off while wired but still get Strict.

[quote user="CrystalBlueCook"]I tried turning DMZ off while wired but still get Strict.[/quote]Do you mean you tried turning on DMZ?

If you needed DMZ before for the wireless, you'll need it for the wired. Make sure you set up the DMZ for the new IP address that the wired adapter should be getting. The change from wired to wireless should result in an IP address change on the Xbox One due to the MAC address change (different MACs on the wireless adapter and the wired adapter inside the console).

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="CrystalBlueCook"]I tried turning DMZ off while wired but still get Strict.[/quote]Do you mean you tried turning on DMZ?

If you needed DMZ before for the wireless, you'll need it for the wired. Make sure you set up the DMZ for the new IP address that the wired adapter should be getting. The change from wired to wireless should result in an IP address change on the Xbox One due to the MAC address change (different MACs on the wireless adapter and the wired adapter inside the console).

[/quote] That's what I forgot to do was change the IP. It's now moderate but my DL is now 6mb from when it was 13mb on strict.

I really hate how difficult this Uverse router is.

Try putting the power settings to energy saver m8,I know there is an issue where on instant on it messes with the upnp on lots of router connections,or bar that give your xb1 a nice new ISP, assuming the system update (2nd) didnt cover your router.The optimum connection for any xbox for keeping your NAT open,has always been everything on automatic,it will always surpass anything static concerning connection to online.

-

Hope you get it sorted :)

When I initially set up my xbone wired my setting was OPEN. After a power cut the other day, it now reads STRICT.

So maybe I need to re boot my router to get OPEN back?

Not having any problems with strict than I can put my finger on though.

Using BT Homehub v2a in the UK.

[quote user="CrystalBlueCook"]I really hate how difficult this Uverse router is.[/quote]It seems like it's possible to put the gateway into bridged mode. If you do that, you can use any other router to go from the gateway to your home network.

Note that not all routers play well with Live. Before you buy a router, check its forum to see if it has any issues.

yep my tip unplug everything open ports and port forward also static IP and ur fixed happened to me

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="CrystalBlueCook"]I really hate how difficult this Uverse router is.[/quote]It seems like it's possible to put the gateway into bridged mode. If you do that, you can use any other router to go from the gateway to your home network.

Note that not all routers play well with Live. Before you buy a router, check its forum to see if it has any issues.

[/quote]I actually have a Netgear modem/router boxed up somewhere. I'll look for the details on bridging the two and see if I can get that to work. .

Just updating, finally got an Open NAT. Downloads are insanely faster than they were before but I constantly get dropped from Xbox Live. I get dropped out of parties, when I'm playing online and when I am using Netflix. Doesn't do this ever over a wireless connection.