Strict NAT on ATT mobile hotspot

I have a ATT unite pro mobile hotspot that is my only internet option for where I live (near the city so i have good speed but off the road enough that don't have cable).  I can play my Xbox one online and have great speeds however i have a strict NAT that limits me joining some games and chatting.  I have tried doing port forwarding, uPNP, and using dmz all without any change in NAT.  I have done these with a static ip.  Since it is through ATT and basically using cell phone internet is it even possible to ever get an open NAT?  when i do the detailed network statistics it says I am behind a port-symmetric NAT.  Can anyone tell me if it is possible to get the NAT open for this ATT hotspot and if so how?

Thank for your time and help

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 4,338 Applies to:

G'day Mottley, sorry to hear about the connection troubles. Unfortunately mobile hotspots are not too flexible when it comes to setting the NAT type and opening ports, so the connection tends to stay moderate or strict. It's one reason why we don't recommend using hotspots for an Xbox Live connection. Officially I recommend you look into obtaining a home network, but if that's not possible then you may also want to play around with other hotspot devices to see if one yields better results.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey there, Mottley. Like Mrs. Joust said, mobile hotspots are not a recommended (or supported) connection type for your Xbox. This is for two reasons. First off, the nature of a cellular signal does not provide a stable enough platform to allow for smooth gameplay. Next (and more specific to your issue) a lot of cellular networks do what we call "back-end NATting". Unfortunately there is no way for you to change that. It is not a setting that you have any control over. It is performed on the cellular network side, and cell provider won't make those kinds of adjustments. I wish I had better news for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I feel your pain!  I'm in the same situation using an AT&T hotspot.  I hate it when someone says to get a better network.  They have no clue how hard that is out in the sticks.  As far as stability goes, my hotspot is more stable than other isp's I've had.  I get a good LTE signal and I have gotten speeds up to 40.0 mbps down and 20.0 up with a low ping!  The average is 10.0 - 15.0.  But the NAT problem is a pain and it does cause issues when gaming.  I can get an open NAT on my xbox 360 but never on my xbox one with my hotspot.  So that tells me its just as much a problem with the xbox one as it is using a hotspot.  I wish I could tell you how to fix it.  I've worked hard on finding a solution the past few months.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there NuclearSteveO!

Please go ahead and create a new thread if you haven't already.  This way you can receive support specifically to you.  Be sure to include the details of the issue as well as any troubleshooting steps that you have tried.  Thanks in advance!

Sorry this didn't help.