Stream All Audio from Windows 8.1 to Xbox One?

So get this...  I have media players on my ANDROID phone that recognize my Xbox One as a DLNA device and I can play music from my ANDROID phone through my MICROSOFT Xbox One (and out my stereo speakers.)

My Windows 8.2 desktop recognizes my Xbox One on the network. I can connect to it with SmartGlass.  I have the Media Monkey Media Player and you can right click on the volume setting and select playback devices between 'Internal Device' and my XBox One.  I also have the app, 'Stream What You Hear' and it also gives me the option to select the Xbox as my playback device.  Neither of these work like my phone does.

Because my Android phone can stream to my Xbox, we have confirmed, you do not need a Microsoft App to stream audio to the Xbox (it's using standard DLNA protocol)

Now maybe the knee jerk reaction of Microsoft support might be to point their finger at Media Monkey or Stream What You Hear and go talk to those guys.  I think not.

Obviously the DLNA device detection is being handled by the Windows 8.1 operating system.  If every single app I try using in Windows 8.1 that conforms with the standard DLNA protocol can't stream than this, but an Android Phone App CAN, this indicates to me there is an issue with Windows 8.1 communicating with the Xbox? (Yes, I can connect via Smartglass on Win 8.1)

Am I missing something?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 116 Applies to:

I went into Devices and Printers and it found and added the Xbox device. But using the Play To option when right clicking on an mp3 file brings up a playback window that just says contacting device followed by 'unexpected device error'

NOW REMEMBER, I can stream to the Xbox no problem from my Android device.  So this is NOT a network/router or Xbox issue.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well I realized Play To wasn't working because for some reason my wireless network connection was set to Public which has network discovery turned off.  Changing a wireless network connection from public to private required registry edit believe it or not - seeming a setting area that Win 8.1 didn't get right.

But the third party apps still can't stream despite them seing the Xbox and the Xbox makes the connection sound when I set it to the playback device but they just won't sync.  

Pretty ridiculous I can stream from Android to a Microsoft device but not from Windows!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.