Storage concerns

I've currently had my Xbox One for just under a year right now and noticed that my storage capacity is being chewed up rapidly. I recently bought my brother and Xbox One this March that was the same as mine in storage space, however, he's barely used a quarter of his storage space compared to mine. I currently have 6 games downloaded to my hard drive to his 5 and yet im at 74% storage space used while he has only about 30%. Even when I bought my Xbox over a 1/4 of my storage space was already taken and he only had 12%. Is there a way to delete any unnecessary files or apps without deleting games and important apps I use? At this point I wont have enough space for another game.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 19 Applies to:

no, and I bought this xbox brand new, it wasn't pre-owned.

and what does this reserved storage mean for one of my games?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

If 1/4 of your storage space was already taken up when you bought the console then perhaps it was pre-owned and someone installed some items but then returned the console for some unknown reason.  Are you able to try moving all your games to an external drive then do a Factory Reset on the console to see if it removes the extra stuff?

Sorry this didn't help.

ok I knew that, what I couldn't understand though was why my brother and I have the same games downloaded yet I have way more space taken up.

Also one game has some called "Reserved Space" taking up 14gb of space, what is that and should I delete it?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry to hear it.  Storage space is limited and some games can be quite large but there is a silver lining.

You can add up to 2 USB 3.0 external drives ranging in size from 256GB - 16TB for extra storage space.  Once the drive has been added you'll be able to rename it and then move games from your internal drive to the external drive.

Just a recommendation though.  Stay away from Seagate drives as they can have issues communicating with the console.

Sorry this didn't help.