Stop charging to access apps. This is ridiculous nowadays!

Find me one other consumer electronic device (OTT box, SmartTV, BD player) that charges you to actually use the apps.  And mind you, most (if not all) of the other devices offer a much wider selection of apps.  Originally, I was a huge supporter of this because MS was a pioneer in this field.  Now, they are the last (and ONLY) media center device that actually charges you to access the app library.  Heck, BD players and SmartTVs have >>SKYPE<<!  How is it that the Xbox is the LAST one to include this in their system seeing as how they OWN it?? lol

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 33 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Charges you, because you need a gold sub?

Not following you here.

basically yes... Figured that was obvious ;) They charge you a subscription (in a sense) to access the apps library.  This is old and very outdated.  I FULLY agree at them charging for multiplayer.  That was their original intent.  But they are also charging you to access apps that are free of charge everywhere else

Gold subs isnt for multiplayer only though, it is for using the Xbox live network as a whole.

Been that way for 10 years now  :)

BD players, and streaming players arent really free either, since you have to buy them if you want to get really technical about it. And the number of apps that can be used are very limited.

If you really want to get technical about it... please name one device that charges you after the initial purchase of said device to access the apps.  And yes, before "apps" came out on the Xbox, Microsofts whole stance on charging was to support the service by charging members to access multiplayer gaming.  PS - since I have the 10 year gamer pic I would know, seeing as how I've been a subscriber to Live since its inception

Also, using apps such as Netflix and Hulu arent actually using the Xbox's network.  All costs associated with streaming videos from them (or other apps) are incurred by the actual app owners, not MS

[quote user="Bluntman1138"]

And the number of apps that can be used are very limited.

[/quote]

Waaait a minute! lol What do you mean they are limited?  Every other device offers a much wider range of apps (including NHL Center Ice) than what the Xbox offers right now.  INCLUDING SKYPE! lol  Right there is the most ridiculous point seeing as how MS owns Skype yet the Xbox is the last one to get the app.  Almost all smartTVs now have that app as well as BD players.  If they dont have a camera built in, then they just connect a usb-capable camera

[quote user="NARKOSIS"]

please name one device that charges you after the initial purchase of said device to access the apps.  And yes, before "apps" came out on the Xbox, Microsofts whole stance on charging was to support the service by charging members to access multiplayer gaming.  PS - since I have the 10 year gamer pic I would know, seeing as how I've been a subscriber to Live since its inception

[/quote]

Thats how i was being technical, you still have to buy the actual players. And Microsoft's stance has NEVER been just about charging the Gold membership for online play since the launch of the 360. In its first 2 years yes, that was pretty much it, that and downloading extras. With the launch of the 360, that model changed.  EVERYTHING added since then has been about the entire service of Xbox Live, no matter what is added. Whether or not it uses Live's resources or not to do a specific function, doesnt mean you are being charged "extra" as you claim you are being charged. PS. I have been an Xbox Live subber since it first launched in 2002 as well, do you think you deserve a cookie for that?

P.S.S. Some of the BR players and streaming devices are limited to the types of apps they can use. As with Live, they have a better capability to improve on those numbers over time, without having to buy another device, like some of the cheaper streaming devices.

You are missing the point completely.  You have still failed to list any other consumer device that charges you to access any/all of the apps.  And yes it was MS's stance.  It was in the original Xbox, it was in the 360.  The apps section never really took hold for a couple of years after the 360 was released.  Not to mention the owner of Netflix was on the board of directors of MS until just recently... By all means, please tell me what other media center device charges you to simply access the apps that the Xbox provides.  Dare I even mention PS3?? lol

[quote user="Bluntman1138"]

P.S.S. Some of the BR players and streaming devices are limited to the types of apps they can use. As with Live, they have a better capability to improve on those numbers over time, without having to buy another device, like some of the cheaper streaming devices.

[/quote]

No they arent, atleast not anymore.  Have you seen a current-gen Panasonic players/TV interface?  Its gorgeous and far from the defacto that Netflix set the standard for.  Roku boxes still have that same general layout.  But manufacturers like Panasonic have an amazing interface.  All of this though is besides the fundamental point.  I'll ask once again, please post a link to ANY device that charges you to access the apps outside of the initial purchase price.  Monthly memberships excluded since thats a plan they themselves enact.

Wow, your reading comprehension skills are out of date. My first sentence explains that,. The initial cost of the player is what i was talking about.Its not like you can all netflix and get a free streaming player now can you? And there wasnt even an "apps" section on Live till about a year and a half ago, so that is way more than a couple of years.   Also, you may want to go back and read/watch some old interviews with MS people before the launch of the 360 and the Xbox Live service at the time, that all explains how they changed the dynamic of Xbox Live from more than just multiplayer. The 2 Xbox Live networks were 2 completely seperate networks.