STOLEN ACCOUNT - TERRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE

My account was stolen 3 weeks ago (this account that I am posting from is not the account).  Over $250 in fraudulent charges were made to my credit card.  A card that I HAD EXPLICITLY TOLD A C/S AGENT A WEEK PRIOR TO REMOVE FROM MY ACCOUNT.  I have had to struggle with the bank to get the charges refunded, take time off work to do so, and currently have no access to content and services that I have bought and currently pay for.

The initial breach to my account was through EA Games.  My email address was changed on their system.  From there - the culprit was able to hook in to my XBOX Live account as the charges started not even 24 hours after this took place.  MY ACCOUNT BEING HACKED IS A RESULT OF A SECURITY BREACH THROUGH EA / XBOX - NOT AS A RESULT OF ME BEING PHISHED DIRECTLY OR GIVING OUT PERSONAL INFORMATION.

I have now had 4 calls in to XBOX support - each time escalating my call, with no resolution and little sympathy.

I HAVE BEEN A LOYAL CUSTOMER FOR OVER 5 YEARS.  I HAVE SPENT HUNDREDS IF NOT THOUSANDS ON GAMES, SERVICES, AND CONTENT IN THAT TIME.  WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT TO RESTORE MY ACCOUNT AND PROVIDE ADEQUATE COMPENSATION?  THERE ARE ZERO UPDATES AS TO THE STATUS OF THIS ISSUE AS APPARENTLY THE FRAUD DEPARTMENT IS SO CLANDESTINE AND SECRETIVE, THE C/S DEPT HAS NO FOLLOW UP WITH THEM AND WILL NOT PROVIDE ME WITH FURTHER CONTACT INFORMATION.

MY ACCOUNT SHOULD BE RESTORED IMMEDIATELY.  THE "INVESTIGATION PROCESS" THAT APPARENTLY NEEDS TO BE COMPLETED BEFORE MY ACCOUNT IS RESTORED IS NOT MY PROBLEM.  THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM.  THERE IS NO REASON WHY MY ACCOUNT CANNOT BE RESTORED WHILE THIS PROCESS TAKES PLACE.  WHY IS A LOYAL CUSTOMER THAT HAS DONE NOTHING WRONG BESIDES TRUST IN YOUR SERVICE BEING PUNISHED FOR A BREACH IN XBOX LIVE SECURITY?  IT MAKES NO SENSE.  ANY NORMAL BUSINESS DOES NOT OPERATE IN THIS WAY.  IF YOUR C/S DEPARTMENT HAD REMOVED MY CARD FROM THE ACCOUNT LIKE I HAD ASKED FOR - NONE OF THIS WOULD HAVE HAPPENED.  ONCE AGAIN - YOUR PROBLEM, NOT MINE.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 17 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You must wait while they do the investigation. I know it is frustrating but they wont give you the account back straight away because they need to check that you are you, and the events have taken place as you've said.

Would you really want them to give accounts 'back' without checking people are the genuine owner?

I certainly hope you are complaining to EA as well, as it is them from your story that lead to this situation.

One last thing, even if the person had your email address they would still have needed your password to take the account. Please tell me you didn't have the same one for EA and your 360 account? 

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I have no idea what my EA games password was.  If fact - I do not recall even setting up an account with them.  I believe my XBL account was linked into their services due to certain games I had played requiring you to provide your email address to them.

Sorry this didn't help.

So your mad that you freely gave someone your account info and was phished and they stole your account. I don't see how this is Microsofts fault.

Sorry this didn't help.

I was waiting for the first troll to chime in.  Read my post again before trying to stick up for XBL's lack of security.  I GAVE NO ONE MY INFORMATION.  I WAS NOT PHISHED.  I GAVE OUT NO PERSONAL INFORMATION TO ANYONE OTHER THAN XBOX, AND THE INFO THAT XBOX SHARES WITH EA GAMES.

I HAVE POSTED A SIMILAR POST ELSEWHERE AND I AM NOT THE ONLY PERSON THAT HAS SUFFERED FROM THIS EA / XBL BREACH.  DO A GOOGLE SEARCH ON XBL SCAMS.  YOU WILL FIND *PLENTY* OF HITS OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS OF SIMILAR INSTANCES.

Sorry this didn't help.

AcquittedPeak43, the other Posters are not Trolling. Disagreeing with your statement or providing clarification is not Trolling either. Your Account became Compromised at your fault, knowingly or unknowingly. That is how Accounts become Compromised.

Sorry but it is not a fault in the System but that of the Users End. Trust me, there are a lot of people that would just love to get their hands on my Profile and I've even been offering a "challenge" for years on it. It has yet to happen... I wonder why not? Actually, I know "why not". It is simply because my Information is safe and Secure.

Sorry this didn't help.

NOT TRUE.  On all accounts.  I wont even bother arguing my usage of the term "troll" - we'll just move on.

So let me get this straight - we provide information to XBOX LIVE which is then either shared directly or indirectly with their partners.  We do so under the assumption that we are subscribing to a secure and reliable service.  This information is then obtained by a fraudulent user via some loop hole in their systems.  Explain to me how this is my fault?  My password strength was not good enough?  My email address was provided and valid?  As stated above - if you google these issues, you can find clear as day evidence of various spoofs that can be used to obtain information in order to hack an account.  This has NOTHING to do with the security of individual accounts on the user end.  

Listen, I'm not a kid.  And I have worked in the IT field for several years.  Your personal account is absolutely irrelevant.  There is no doubt in my mind that XBL rep accounts are under a different level of security than a standard user.  If you have proven anything to me - it is that once again, an instance of an XBL rep not supporting their customer base appropriately and shirking responsibility.

Sorry this didn't help.

Just because we have little symbols under our names, doesn't make us Xbox reps.  In fact we are not affiliated with Microsoft in any way other than being Xbox owners.

Scams, phishing and the like aren't the same as 'hacking'.  Also as far as I am aware there no security issues with EA, if there were I'm sure I would be aware of them.  I've also been a EA member since 1999 and have never had any problems with them.  If EA had been compromised it would be all over the news. No one is going to hack them just to get your account.

Sorry this didn't help.

I had a fraudulent charges once. I called support. I didn't even have to go to my bank, the money was credited back to my account within 3 days.

Sorry this didn't help.

I am *very* aware of what the difference is.  And yes - there is a breach in EA / XBL.  Again - if you google these facts, you will find plenty of evidence that this is taking place.  Just because there is no public acknowledgement of such does not mean it is not happening.  No company wants to admit these flaws as it undermines the integrity of their service.  But wait, let me guess, you are probably in a way referring to the latest PSN breach.  This was only admitted because it was a one time, isolated hack of epic proportions and they had no choice but to admit fault.

What is so difficult about admitting to this?  Apparently the normal business motto does not hold true with XBL.  At XBL - "the customer is always wrong".

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="AcquittedPeak43"]

As stated above - if you google these issues, you can find clear as day evidence of various spoofs that can be used to obtain information in order to hack an account.  This has NOTHING to do with the security of individual accounts on the user end.  [/quote]

What makes you think "we" don't Google these things like everyone else does. lol sorry but I know how to use my Internet for basic Information. And I'm also aware that there are thousands upon misinformed Users and Information on the Internet as well.

You yourself state the Truth. That's exactly what all of those are, both "spoofs" and a Method of either Social Engineering or Phishing. That is how they obtain the Users Information, through the weakest link, the User themselves.

Third Party Companies do not have any Information in regards to your Windows Live ID via XBL, unless the User provides it for them. Xbox LIVE does not transmit in anyway a Users WLID to any 3rd Party Companies or otherwise. It is at the sole responsibility of the User to Protect their Account Information.

[quote user="AcquittedPeak43"]Listen, I'm not a kid.  And I have worked in the IT field for several years.  Your personal account is absolutely irrelevant.  There is no doubt in my mind that XBL rep accounts are under a different level of security than a standard user. 

[/quote]

First, I never stated anything of the like that you were a "kid". You are simply misinformed in regards to Account Security. If you truly have worked in the IT Field, you would know people attack Systems through the weakest link, other Users, not directly against any System itself.

In addition, like stated above Xbox LIVE Ambassadors are no different then any other "regular" User with the exception that "we" usually have a good working knowledge of XBL. My Account in short, is no different then your Account. I'm a Gamer, just like you, I am not Employed by MS in any shape, way or form.

Sorry this didn't help.