Still muted....

i was playing gears of war 3 and accidentally pressed mute all strangers, then it said that i was muted too!  i didnt think that it was a big deal but now i cant hear anyone on any games that i play. BIG problem, very irritating. i know its not my head set, i know its not my xbox, i tried recovering my gamer tag on a different xbox same thing, im still muted, and its not my NAT. all else points to my gamer tag. what to do what to do.... and its been muted for a month and somedays now. i feel ... un happy :( 

p.s i wouldn't be complaining about this, but we pay money for live so it should have been fixed a long time ago.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 4 Applies to:

I have the same problem, I went on Epic forums and told that this problem is GOW 3 specific but its seems nothing is being done, you can be heard in other games though because I was on MW3 and I have the mute symbol but the other players in the lobby could hear me aslo in XBL parties do you have the mute symbol next to your GT?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

i can be heard, i dont know how loud though. yeah the mute symbol is next to my gamertag, and it shows that im muted in other video games too i cant hear through my headset but they can hear me. they need to patch this up hopefully this will fix the problem but its been a long while now

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Hughes! Are you only experiencing this in GOW or other games as well? Have you checked all your Communication Settings to ensure you are set up properly? Check under Online Safety to ensure everything is proper. Let me know what you find out, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah bro, i been through all that, every time i get on my xbox i check. all my settings are just as they were when i used to be able to hear and talk. i was just wondering if you seen me post in any other forums? and what is being done to fix this problem. but yeah ill join a party chat and it has the mute icon by my gamertag or ill play another game for example battle field 3 and it shows my mic with a (. . .) "dot dot dot" right next to it. this is when i check the score board in battle field 3, im guessing that means it muted as well. but from what i have experienced i know it all started with gears of war three, and now i cant hear through my headset. and as you would know from other posts in various forums, My headset is not the problem because i used it on another xbox as well, as well as the controller, and the hard drive. i even recovered it to another xbox (3rd xbox) and its still muted. could you tell me what Microsoft intends to do about this and how long will it take. i just wana play games communicate, and be happy lol but foreal tho its really irritating, it drains the fun out of playing

Sorry this didn't help.

The issue with the mute icon is a known issue and does not affect communication in any way. My assumption here is that you have this issue as well as another issue not being able to communicate. I simply want to make sure we're focusing on the relevant information here.

Just to clarify, you cannot hear anyone, but people can still here you, or are you not getting any communication at all? Do you have friends that can confirm this with you? Also, you mention that it works on one console, but not yours or a third, is this correct? Have you tried another headset on your console? Let's start there and we'll keep working on it until you get your communication back. Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

you are correct i cannot hear through the head set when my gamer tag is signed in. i let friend use my headset and he said that it worked perfectly fine. but yes there is a mute sign next to my name in the party chat, and in battle field 3, when i check the score it shows a mic with dots next to it, in gears of war 3 i cant hear through the head set so i switch preferences to hear through the speakers. i can barley make out what they are saying though. in both games. yes ive tried another head set on the original console same problem. if someone else signs in on my xbox all communication with his gamer tag works fine but not mines if that helps any

Sorry this didn't help.

Do you have another headset you can try on your console? Can you go into your settings again and if they are already set correctly, change them to block communication, save and exit, then go back in and set them properly again. This might encourage them to set properly. Let me know, thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.

yeah i tried two headsets already. i did what you told me to do with the settings and communication but it was still the same.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Hughes, real quick before moving forward, I just want to confirm that we're on the same page for one particular setting section. Earlier, Gywth asked that you check online safety and voice settings, to which you said you did. I just want to confirm that you followed the steps to get to this exact menu: Press the guide button, select settings, preference, and voice. I appreciate the confirmation, and we'll be back to you shortly. :-)

Sorry this didn't help.