Static noise in Xbox dashboard when connected to Live

I have been experiencing this annoying pulsating static noise while on the xbox dashboard or using the system audio, video players. As soon as i enter a game or app it goes away. Initially believed to be my audio system, through troubleshooting I found this only happens while connected to Xbox Live no matter whether i use a wired connetion or wirelesss and the fact that i am using a fiber optic cable for audio rules out the chance of any static being picked up by it.

Is anyone else experiencing this, is there a solution? Or, is there a way to disconnect from Xbox live, without disconnecting from my home network, so I dont have to put up with annoying static noise while using the systems audio or video player to stream from my PC? (either than disconnecting my modem for the rest of the household).

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 727 Applies to:

I think it has to do with tv cable, some tv make static noise when there are bright colors on screen, this could be why you hear them in the dashboard and not in games.

I suggest to try to adjust your tv contrast or change tv cable.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

this problem wasnt always there it just started up out of the blue one day. and is only there when connected to xbox live (wired or wireless).

Sorry this didn't help.

I have completly isolated my xbox from my entertainment system and tested it on a different tv with only a different hdmi cable and the power adapter attached to it and connected to Live via wifi and I get the same noise.

I may only conclude that it is an internal component/circuitry creating interference with the signal recieved by the networking component/circuitry while conected to Live and browsing the dashboard.

Or

It is actual signal that is sent by Live during dashboard browsing. Although I highly doubt I would be the only one to notice or experience the latter.

Sorry this didn't help.

It could be the Ratings Collection sound setting.

Go into the dashboard sound settings

Settings -> System -> Console Settings -> Audio

Look for the 'Ratings Collection Sound' setting and make sure it is turned off.

This setting causes a pulsing static like sound on the dashboard if it is switched on.

I believe this setting has something to do with TV ratings so unless you are one of those few people who's tv habits are recorded for ratings purposes then you should have this option switched off.

Sorry this didn't help.

Malacath you are a savior!!! I have never seen that option in the audio menu before it must have been added in a fairly recent update. I have no Idea how it got turned on and I am the only one who uses this console. Why would this option exist what purpose does this backgroud noise serve and who would ever want it on?

Thanks again for helping me resolve this before I lost my mind and smashed the crap out of my console lol.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="Zombie669MoFo"]

Malacath you are a savior!!! I have never seen that option in the audio menu before it must have been added in a fairly recent update. I have no Idea how it got turned on and I am the only one who uses this console. Why would this option exist what purpose does this backgroud noise serve and who would ever want it on?

Thanks again for helping me resolve this before I lost my mind and smashed the crap out of my console lol.

[/quote]

Yeah it's a stupid pointless setting that should never have been added. I actually thought my xbox was faulty because of this setting. I nearly bought a new xbox until I found this setting.

I did google it and it's something to do with tv ratings in america. So it's absolutley pointless being on anyones console if you live outside of america. It doesn't even warn you about the annoying sound if you enable it.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you mine just started making this wired noise then I found this post and it stopped, I've only just bought my xbox and was starting to think there was something wrong with my tv or Xbox and I don't even liven the US I from the UK and hat noise was driving me mad but thank you for saving my mind and helping us fx the issue

JSYVIP3R

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you so much for knowing the answer to this. I thought it was a bad HDMI cable until I noticed it only occured when signed in to LIVE, then I suspected it was an electrical grounding feedback loop and moved my router across the room so it would be on a different circuit. When that didn't fix it, I was stumped... you've saved me from aggravation.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm hearing this noise daily is it the same steps for the xbox one

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there Brooklyn!

I suggest making a thread over in the Xbox One Support Forums so we can tailor our support specifically to you. =)

Sorry this didn't help.