Start up issues with the 250GB Slim

A couple of days ago, when I went to turn on my trusty Xbox, I got a red light of doom and an error message [E 68]. After contacting chat support, the problem seemed to fix itself and the Xbox was completely usable again.

Now, two days later, I've been trying to start up my console for the past hour with no luck. Removed and replaced the hard drive, rebooted it countless times, and every time I turn my console on it's usually one of three scenarios. 

A] Splash screen goes smoothly, then error screen

B] Splash screen takes 5 minutes, then error screen

C] Splash takes 10 minutes, then goes to sign in screen, then just sits there after I select my profile; claiming to be signing me in but never moving past this point.

Before the first error message popped up, I'd never even touched the hard drive or used any transfer cables or third party products. I wasn't even aware as to how to get to the hard drive until that little light showed up. I'm beginning to wonder if the latest update had anything to do with this, but I'm just hoping I don't need to buy a new hard drive. 

UPDATE: as I was typing this, I let the Xbox keep trying to sign me in just to see where it'd get me. Well, I'm finally on my dashboard so I'm now in the process of copying all my save games to the cloud while I have the chance. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

Hey there Pyrotech,

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your console. That's definitely a great idea to back up your games. 

To resolve the problem, try disconnecting your console’s hard drive. Here’s how:

Xbox 360 E console

1. Turn off the console.
  2. Unplug all accessories connected to the front or back of the console.
  3. Position the console horizontally.
  4. On the right side of the console, locate the hard drive cover release near the back of the console.
  5. Slide the release diagonally (down and toward the front of the console) while pulling the hard drive door open.
  6. Pull the tab to remove the hard drive.
  7. Reconnect each accessory.
  8. Close the hard drive cover before turning the console back on.

If the problem persists with the hard drive removed, you will have to get the console repaired. Request a repair.

If there is no red light around the power button, reattach your hard drive.

If the problem persists only with the hard drive attached, order a new Xbox 360 Hard Drive from our Xbox Online Service Center (sign in with your Microsoft account). Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty.

Xbox 360 S console

1. Turn off the console.
  2. Unplug all accessories connected to the front or back of the console, including video cables, network cables, and USB devices.
  3. Position the console horizontally.
  4. On the right side of the console, locate the hard drive cover release close to the back of the console.
  5. Slide the release toward the front of the console while pulling the hard drive door open.
  1. Pull the tab to remove the hard drive.
  1. Reconnect each accessory. Turn on the console (with the hard drive still out).

If the problem persists with the hard drive removed, you will have to get the console repaired. Request a repair.

If the problem persists only with the hard drive attached, order a new Xbox 360 Hard Drive from our Xbox Online Service Center (sign in with your Microsoft account). Console registration is required to replace a hard drive under warranty.

Original Xbox 360 console

1. Turn off the console.
  2. Unplug all accessories connected to the front or back of the console, including video cables, network cables, and USB devices.
  3. Locate the hard drive on the top of the console (or on the left side, depending on how the console is oriented).

Note Not all Original Xbox 360 consoles include a hard drive.

4. Press the release button on the hard drive.
  5. Lift the hard drive away from the console.
  6. Reconnect each accessory. Turn on the console (with the hard drive still out).

Please let us know how that goes.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The problem only happens when the hard drive is connected to the console, but it's been sporadic. Yesterday, it only happened once... then proceeded to work perfectly fine the rest of the night. Today, it's been having a butt-ton of issues. My console's warranty expired this past December on top of it all so... how much is a new hard drive gonna cost me? And will I lose all the things on my current hard drive that won't move to the cloud [season passes, player skins, DLC, etc]?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Pyron,

It really depends on what size hard drive you get. I know that you can buy the 320G hard drive through xbox.com for $130. That's the only hard drive we offer through our store. You should be able to find new hard drives (120-250G) from retailers like Best Buy or Gamestop for anywhere from $60-$100. Make sure that whatever you get is an Internal HDD. We do recommend getting an official Microsoft hard drive from wherever you purchase so that you don't run into any weirdness with a third party hard drive.

You should not lose your season passes and DLC when you get a new hard drive. Once you Download your profile onto your new hard drive, you can then download anything you've previously purchased through your Download History

Sorry this didn't help.

Yeah, my boyfriend had a chat with our local Gamestop guys and they explained the DLC thing as well as suggested a new hard drive and transfer cable through Amazon instead of their own store simply because the price difference would be so much better online. We also don't wanna risk anything with third party accessories, so no worries there. I fully believe in getting what you pay for so the generic route is not the way I go when it comes to tech.

Thanks for the help, Fizz!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello just before you buy a new Hard Drive for your Xbox try this.

Start the Xbox without the Hard Drive in it then once on the dashboard go to

System > Storage and then insert the Hard Drive, if it comes up press the following

LB RB X LB RB X then press yes to clear the system update, reboot the Xbox

and download the system update again and see if this resolves the Hard Drive problem

Sorry this didn't help.