Speech In Party Chat Causing Thumbstick Input

Okay folks, this is a weird one and to be honest I don't really expect anyone to be able to solve this problem as I've already been through all kinds of attempted fixes with Official Xbox Phone Support.  I'm creating this thread to describe my set-up, explain the issue, symptoms/elaboration/observations, testing and reproduction, the attempted fixes and to see what percentage of the community might also be experiencing the issue as I've seen it mentioned by four other people besides myself.

My Set-up

• Xbox 360 Elite - Manufacture Date 2008/05/02
  • 120GB HDD
  • Official Xbox 360 Wired Controller
  • Official Xbox 360 Wired Headset
  • Wired Internet Connection
  • HDMI Connection to TV

The Issue

• When people speak while I'm in Party Chat it causes both left and right thumbsticks to register downward/right inputs as if they are tapped downward/right

Symptoms/Elaboration/Observations

• Has been happening for an undetermined length of time through several controller replacements
  • First noticed while playing Minecraft, while controller was at rest saw "twitching" of game character
  • "Twitching" is a step backwards/right and/or one to two degree turn to the right of game character/character dodging/rolling
  • Also noticed while playing Borderlands 2, same type of "twitching" while controller is at rest
  • While playing Diablo 3 game character will turn from facing north to south and/or roll downwards
  • In Diablo 3 Pause menu, cursor will cycle through menu options
  • Wasn't until playing Diablo 3 that I made the connection between being in Party Chat and people speaking in chat causing the "twitching"
  • Happens with members in Party Chat using all mic types although Third party mics seem to trigger it more often
  • Third party mics seem to pickup and transmit more sound than Official Xbox mics, possible correlation
  • Stops occurring while still in Party Chat if headset jack is disconnected from controller
  • Have been unable to check if it continues to occur in regular Game Chat
  • Varying degree of sensitivity in each title to Party Chat speech
  • Sensitivity seems to relate to the thumbstick deadzone of the individual titles
  • Borderlands 2 thumbstick deadzone is "large," least affected game, very subtle "twitching"
  • Minecraft thumbstick deadzone is "medium," noticeable "twitching"
  • Diablo 3 thumbstick deadzone is extremely "small," obvious "twitching"

Testing and Reproduction

• Enter Party Chat
  • Minecraft, line up crosshairs on an object with a perpendicular angle, place controller at rest
  • Borderlands 2, line up crosshairs on an object with a perpendicular angle, place controller at rest
  • Ask Party Chat members to speak
  • Causes character to 'twitch" backwards visibly, also distinguishable by crosshairs no longer being lined up with orientation object
  • Diablo 3, load game, character in game world, place controller at rest
  • Ask Party Chat members to speak,
  • Causes character to rotate from facing "north" to "south" and or Dodge/Roll downwards/right or "southeast"
  • Disconnect headset jack while in Party Chat
  • Message Party Chat members to speak
  • Can hear Party Chat members speaking through audio system
  • No noticeable character movement or "twitching" occurs
  • Plug headset back in, "twitching" resumes

Attempted Fixes

• Deleting and re-downloading Profile
  • Cleared system cache three time
  • Deleted console updates
  • Deleted Marketplace cache
  • Adjusting Game Defaults in Profile section of Settings, both General and Action

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

It seems to be an issue with some wired controllers, as one of mine does exactly this, and the other does not.

(MOD REMOVED) 

MOD NOTES:     Please do not discuss or post links to any topic that could violate the Terms Of Use.   Including any threads or posts regarding modifying the way your Xbox operates such 'modding' and/or 'chipping' your Xbox or otherwise altering the way it is intended to operate. This includes ANY discussion of self-repair.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I suppose that could be a possibility.  This has been ongoing though through three or four controller replacements making it unlikely that I'd receive that many defective controllers in a row over the time that this has been occurring, which I'm estimating to be about a year, maybe as long as two.  One of the other people having this issue has gone through five controllers exchanging them as they thought they were defective and all five have produced this issue.  While a "bad batch" is possible, it seems unlikely to affect me for so long as I'm certain my local retailer doesn't keep a year or twos worth of controllers in stock and newly manufactured "good batches" would replace the "bad" during that time.  For the other individual, it may be possible to get five "bad batch" controllers in a row if they were all bought and exchanged in a relatively short span of time, but I believe the quality control standards would be adequate to prevent such poorly made runs of controllers from proliferating the supply such that there would be a 100% or a 1 in 1 chance of receiving a defective controller five times in a row.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Knowitall, I have read through your post and see that you have tried a lot of testing.  One thing that might be possible is using a wireless xbox360 headset.  Your description sounds like it is something registering between the headset physically connected to the controller.  Have you ever switched your headset or do you happen to have another headset that you could test the same situation with?  

wolf 164

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm using a Wired turtle beach headset, not many people have one, but they have a normal xbox headset.  I'm playing DIablo 3 and i'm chatting with my friends and random people in Party & Game chat, while suddenly my character starts to dodge/roll around aimlessly and i'm not touching the right thumb stick?.  So far it's 5 people in my friends list and so far i counted 20 random people that i join their rooms and when they talk, my character starts to dodge/roll around.

I just want microsoft or blizzard to fix this problem, I just want to play the game without someones voice making my character rolling around, I gotta say it's very ANNOYING.

incase anyone thinks that's it's my controller....NOPE!.  I have a brand new xbox controller on stand by and the problem didn't go away.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there wolf, thanks for the reply.  I wont be able to try a wireless headset, cannot afford to go and purchase one just for the purpose of testing/resolving this issue although it may "fix" the problem.  I run everything I can that is Xbox related wired as I prefer that type of a connection to wireless, it also eliminates any battery or charging issues.  I do not have another wired mic to try either, but I strongly suspect that the mic is not causing the issue as several other people are experiencing the same thing that I am and some are using entirely different types of wired, and possibly wireless, mics.

Thanks very much XBoxOMEGA for stopping by the thread and adding yourself to the list of people having this issue.  You mentioned something that I as of yet have not been able to test for myself.  I am always in Party Chat and have never been able to try just Game Chat itself, going to have to remember to try that next time I can get the group together.  I see you mention you've had it happen in both types of chats in your post, does that mean you are you experiencing this when in Game Chat by itself while not in a Party Chat?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey there,

Well I have the same issue, here are  some infos:

Setup:

Xbox bought at least 5 years ago ( no time to check sorry - premium pack with burnout and indiana lego)

Xbox official headset

Xbox official wireless controller ( with plug and play, sometime without the batteries)

I bought a new wired controller ( black) and noticed the same issue as described above when in a party chat and also in game chat while playing Diablo 3.

My buddy spoke a bit louder in his mic and roll away demon hunter! Without my input of course. Same goes for the menu with the left stick.

The only difference between my 2 controllers: the dead zone, my old controller has a lot more and the sticks are "softer", the mic jack is a lot more "tight" on the new controller.

By the way I switched the new controller at the store, same issue!

I will not buy another one, but I feel like a just lost 35€ ( I am in Germany).

Has anyone tried on GTA 5?

Ideas:

Diablo 3 reacts much more on the stick input than other games.

If you play enough with the new controller you will add some dead zone - thus no more issue?

The chat interfere with the "signal stick output" of the controller?

New wireless controller, no issues with same setup?

Linked to the age of the console itself - only old models?

My buddy did not use the official headset - signal is slightly different?

I hope I could help a bit on this issue :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks very much for posting InfernHell, hoping to provide as much info as possible for the Support folks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Will the support answer or at least a mod saying that they will have a look?

Sorry this didn't help.

Support is aware of the issue and already looking into it.  The purpose of this thread is to add any possible information that may assist them to solve the problem and to find folks that are affected so they have an idea as to how widespread it may be.

You may however want to call Phone Support as well as they are the ones investigating and also waiting for folks to call in with the same issue.

Sorry this didn't help.

I noticed it even in the Dashboard without any games running.  You can test for it too if you want, simply enter a Party chat and leave the Xbox Guide open, leave the controller idle until the screen dims and the guide disappears, have people talk, the screen should brighten again and the guide should appear as if you had touched the controller.  Should be able to confirm it's not game related using this test.

Sorry this didn't help.