Specific 4k UHD Blu Ray Discs Not Working on Xbox One S

Hi,

I've chimed in on a few other threads, but wanted to get this one going specifically for the discs that do not seem to work correctly on Xbox One S. i'm trying to compile as much as i can here, in one place.

Specific UHD Discs are having problems on the Xbox One S. The UHD discs I'm seeing most commonly referenced, and can confirm based on my experience are Oblivion and Lucy (Both newly released Universal UHD Movies). Other UHD discs work fine.

An exchange of the oblivion disc allowed that one to work for me, but i'm hearing many others have exchanged it multiple times, and it will not play. I've also seen threads that state the exact same disc will play 100% normally in a standalone Samsung UHD Blu Ray player, but doesn't work on their One S. I've exchanged the Lucy disc twice now and tried 3 discs from 3 different stores, all fail to load.

What happens when I put in Lucy (and what happens to others when they put in Oblivion)

The disc spins up, then 1 of 2 things happen:

1/4 times, it will not start the blu ray app and eventually tell me to make sure the disc is a game or blu ray/etc...

3/4 times it will load up the blu ray app, albeit much slower than other movies. When the blu ray app launches, it freezes on the loading/splash screen with the circle loading spinner frozen as well. I've let it sit there for 5+ mins with no error until i eject the disc, then it tells me it can't read it and to try another disc.

No matter how many times i eject and try again, it does one of those 2 things.

Here is what iv'e tried so far, many of these were suggested by the twitter xbox support or other threads here:

1. Removing profile and re-adding profile.
  2. Power Cycling, multiple times,
  3. Uninstall/reinstall blu ray app.
  4. Moving blu ray app to internal drive instead of external.
  5. Turning off HDR support.
  6. Turning off BD Live support.
  7. Clearing the persistent storage.

None of these solve the issue.

Discs that i have bought and have worked perfectly:

1. Batman vs Superman
  2. The Martian
  3. If people have this same issue and would like me to add more confirmed "working" UHDs, let me know.

Here are a few other threads where people are talking about this issue. It is not an isolated thing, as i haven't been able to find a single reference to someone playing Lucy UHD successfully on an Xbox One S. A few have confirmed that the exact same Lucy UHD disc plays on their standalone Samsung player, but not their One S. Most people seem to have the same problem with Oblivion.

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php

forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php

www.avsforum.com/.../2481633-xbox-one-s-uhd-blu-ray-player-aug-2016-a-17.html

Please help us early adopters. It's frustrating that the feature that sets this console apart is at least partially broken!

Answer
Answer

Hey everyone! I have some new information that should help get you on the right track.

We are aware that a limited number of 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movie discs manufactured earlier in 2016 may not play on the Xbox One S.  

This issue has since been corrected, but if you are experiencing a problem playing a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc, you can contact the customer service department of the title’s studio for support.  Please note, your console does not need repair or further updates to resolve this particular disc issue.

Thanks a ton for your understanding and if you have any other Xbox support questions please create a new thread and let us know.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Hey all,

We are aware of isolated reports of a small number of Ultra-HD Blu-Ray titles that may not play on Xbox One S consoles. Rest assured, our engineering teams are aware and are investigating. Your console does not need to be replaced or repaired.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2021 Views 15,748 Applies to: