Sources: The Next Xbox Will Play Blu-Ray, May Not Play Used Games

Take all of that with a grain of salt. News is starting to flood in but it's hard to say what may or may not be true. Or somewhere in-between.

-

LINK

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

won't happen. gamestop isn't the only place that sells used games and makes money off of it. plenty of stores who sell new xbox systems also sell used games. the minute that MS says/confirms that they won't support used games, their partners in selling xbox systems will then turn around and stop selling them because it will be pointless to continue to sell those used games once word gets around that ms won't allow it. MS's stock will tank very quickly after that

meh, I don't ever resale game anyways, not worth it. And I only buy PC games on sale so It doesn't really matter to me.

[quote user="Webduelist"]You may own the disk, you do not own the code on it.[/quote]The correct term is that you don't own the Intellectual Property (IP) on the disc.[quote]Again if you were buying the code and actually were the owner of the code, you could make copies and sell it.[/quote]That doesn't change the fact that when one buys a console game today, one can resell it.

There is no secondary market for game license resale at this time. There is no legal precedent for license resale in the USA. Steam's been operational for almost ten years and there's still no secondary market option for the sale of licenses. The most they've managed to implement is license gifting for extra licenses.

You may own the disk, you do not own the code on it.  That is why any backups or copies can not be sold and must be destroyed. The first sale doctrine allows for the sale of game mediums that were purchased. Again if you were buying the code and actually were the owner of the code, you could make copies and sell it.

[quote user="Webduelist"]No video games are owned by anyone except the company that created it,[/quote]That's not how doctrine of first sale works.[quote]You only licence the right to play on your system.[/quote]No. Console games today on physical media are owned, not licensed.[quote]If you owned it you could make a copy,[/quote]It's allowed to make a backup copy for one's own use. It is not allowed to make a copy and give it away.[quote]sell, give it away,[/quote]You can sell or give away an original console game. Any backups that may have been created must be destroyed.[quote]without it being illegal.[/quote]It's legal under the doctrine of first sale and current copyright law.

Console games today on physical media are owned, not licensed.

PC games bought via Steam/Origin are normally licenses, not sales. The $10 price reduction on PC titles was a bone thrown to PC gamers when DRM arrived on the scene. PC games bought on physical media are just sneakernet for the bits. It's explicitly stated on the boxes that to use the enclosed disc requires connection to a DRM service and the code that comes with the title in the box.

No video games are owned by anyone except the company that created it, with some exceptions. You only licence the right to play on your system. If you owned it you could make a copy, sell, give it away, without it being illegal.  

I talked to the manager up at my local gamestop he told me that gamestop has like a 40% share of something in sony so they wont go that way on them

[quote user="IceStorm III"]

[quote user="XxSTIZZxX"]And Sony buying Gaikai has nothing to do with Microsoft.[/quote]You said no used games on the 360 would drive people to Sony. Sony just bought a service that allows them to not only block used sales, it allows them to block ownership entirely.

Your assertion falls apart in light of this development. Sony didn't spend $380 million just to sit on the technology.

[/quote]

With Sony's financials looking extremely bleak, I find it odd that Sony would be buying $380 million on anything right now.  They definitely have a plan for that technology in their future products and who knows maybe in some of their current ones, if it can be applied to existing hardware in the form of an update?  Not sure how the tech works so this is speculation on my part.

[quote user="XxSTIZZxX"]And Sony buying Gaikai has nothing to do with Microsoft.[/quote]You said no used games on the 360 would drive people to Sony. Sony just bought a service that allows them to not only block used sales, it allows them to block ownership entirely.

Your assertion falls apart in light of this development. Sony didn't spend $380 million just to sit on the technology.

Also if you can see I'm not the only one in here who talking about things from months ago. ****Looking into Microsoft's Handbook**** Nope I don't see anything that states a person cannot talk about something that is 5 months old. So once again who cares that you care. And Sony buying Gaikai has nothing to do with Microsoft.  -__-