Sound Issues with 5.1

I have my setup as such - Cable box into Xbox (HDMI), xbox into TV (HDMI), TV sound out into receiver (Optical cable).

Up until last night, I had it set to stereo, but decided to get the 5.1 switched, as it wouldn't let me before. Found a tip to change the TV connection to HDMI, instead of HDMI (auto detect).

Then I followed these steps : http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/system/configure-audio-settings

When I put it to 5.1 uncompressed, on certain shows (such as Sunday Night Football) the main audio was missing. For example, I got the crowd noise and music, but the announcers were missing.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? All the speakers are working, and I have it surround sound beta turned on. Any help would be appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

I have a similar issue. I'm using an older A/V receiver without HDMI inputs. I connect my Xbox One using HDMI out directly to my TV and then connect a SPDIF/optical cable from the Xbox One to my A/V receiver.

When playing games it sounds fine. However if I watch a movie the dialog between people is not existent or so low that you can't hear what they are saying.

I've switched my A/V receiver to stereo/direct and it now sounds fine because I'm using a two channel without any center or rear speakers.

It could very well be some kind of audio signal being output from your receiver.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm having the same issue, except my set up is Xbox to A/V receiver with HDMI and then A/V receiver to TV with HDMI.

I'm wondering if the coming patch where the Xbox supports Dolby 5.1 will fix this? Maybe the receiver is mixing out certain channels because it needs a compressed signal? No idea, just wish that Microsoft's solution hadn't been "play your games in stereo" and then a shrug.

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything I've read leads me to hope the Dolby patch fixes it. Looks like stereo mode until then.

Sorry this didn't help.

Everything I've read leads me to hope the Dolby patch fixes it. Looks like stereo mode until then.

did this issue ever get addressed with the console's TOSlink output?

Sorry this didn't help.