Sony Bravia does not select 3d "Side by side" for xbox 360

I recently purchased 3d glasses for my Sony Bravia. 3d movies work flawless through the PS3. No problems at all.

However, on the 360 some games require "Side by Side" to activate the 3d properly. Some examples are Crysis 1 and Gears Of War 3.

So I set the game to "side by side" in the game 3d menu. At that point I should be able to select "side by side" on my tv. It does not give me this option if I am hooked to the 360. I tried component and HDMI. Same results. Even the imanual on the tv says to just select 3d then "side by side" but it is not working. Any ideas?

I tried this on the PS3 and it gives me the option for "side by side" but not on the 360. I even used the exact same HDMI cables.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 86 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Which specific Sony TV?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Ohhh an instant response nice!!!  Hopefully this will get resolved.

Sony BRAVIA KDL-40EX720 40" 3D LED-LCD TV 120hz 240 motionflow 3d

Sorry this didn't help.

I have a later model, the Sony KDL-55HX850, with a similar 3D setup menu. My 360 is connected to my TV's HDMI 2 input via a string of devices, first through a Monoprice HDMI switch then to a Yamaha YSP-4000 sound projector and finally the TV. I can enable 3D in Gears of War 3, then set the TV to Side By Side mode. It doesn't seem to have any restrictions on options (I can choose over/under and simulated as well).

In a game that require auto-detection (Halo Anniversary), my setup fails. To test, I plugged the console directly into the TV and rebooted it. After that, the console detected a 3D TV and Halo Anniversary allowed 3D to be enabled. No changes were required on the TV side - the TV automatically went into 3D mode.

Assuming you have your 360 plugged directly into your TV, go to Settings, System, Console Settings, Display, and make sure you see 3D TV and TV Size listed. If not, make sure you have Display Discovery enabled, though I should note that none of that was required for Gears of War 3, and I know from historical testing that Black Ops doesn't care, either.

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried 3 games last night in 3d.

1. GOW3 (side by side from tv would not work)

2. Crysis 1 (side by side from tv would not work)

3. Black ops 2  (Only option available was "Simulated 2d to 3d)

So I dont even think Black Ops 2 worked in 3d either since I only had the option of Simulated 2d to 3d.   What is Black ops 2 supposed to be set at on the tv in the 3d menu?

Any suggestions to get the "side by side" option to pop up while playing the 360??  Side by side is available when I have the PS3 plugged in.  But never becomes available for the 360.  

I own Halo CE Annersary but havent tried it yet.  Doesnt sound like I will have much with that either.

I will check out your other suggestion about the settings tonight. "go to Settings, System, Console Settings, Display, and make sure you see 3D TV and TV Size listed. If not, make sure you have Display Discovery enabled"   Do I check these settings on the tv or the 360?

Sorry this didn't help.

Those settings are on the 360 itself. 3D TV and TV size do not show up if the 360 cannot communicate properly with the TV.

I just took my Yamaha YSP-4000 out of the path between the 360 and the TV. The 360 now properly registers the TV and Halo Anniversary works, so it looks like my sound projector is the anti-3D culprit. No big deal as the HX850 line can output 5.1 sound from the TV to the sound projector over optical.

There's a Firmware Update for your TV. It's dated 12/12/2012. You might want to try that as well.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ahhh ok I know for sure I have never seen "3d tv or Tv size" show up.    Or at least not with the component cables. However when I tried with the HDMI cords it did show a lot of different sizes like 1280x720 and a lot of others but thats all I noticed.  

I did fail to mention above that I am running a Sewell HDMI splitter between the tv and the 360 / PS3. The splitter and 3d still work fine with the PS3 but obviously something isnt working with the 360.  It doesnt seem like my tv recognizes anything 3d with the 360 plugged in.  I dont think the splitter has anything to do with it but I guess its worth a try.

As for firmware update.  I have never plugged this tv into the internet in the year that I have had it. Purchased January 2012.   I was always afraid a firmware update might mess something up.  I guess I could try that if you think its a good idea.  Maybe it will help the tv recognize the 360.  The bottom line is that this tv does not recognize anything 3d from the 360.   But it does recognize the PS3 in 3d.  

Sorry this didn't help.

I would first take the HDMI switch out of the path, see if that changes things.

After that, I'd try a Firmware Update. I updated mine shortly after I bought it. The process was painless. If you're still within your 1 yr warranty can't hurt too much to try.

Sorry this didn't help.

I will try bypassing the HDMI splitter tonight.  Maybe the 360 does not like that splitter but the PS3 doesnt mind.   My other very important question is....  Will 3D even work at all if I am using Component cables?   Or does 3d only work with HDMI??? "Simulated 2d to 3d" seems to work a little. But if 3D doesnt even work with component cables then I will only test it with the HDMI cables.   I kept using the Component cables with the 360 because visualy I have never seen a difference between HDMI and Component.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="CAMAROBOY69"]My other very important question is....  Will 3D even work at all if I am using Component cables?[/quote]On a Sony TV it does not appear to. Via Component my only option is Simulated. The other two are greyed out.[quote]Or does 3d only work with HDMI???[/quote]There's no technical reason it can't be forced, but it can't be autodetected far as I can tell. If Sony allowed it to be forced, it would work for games like Gears of War 3 and Call of Duty Black Ops. Halo Anniversary wouldn't work as it requires autodetection.[quote]visualy I have never seen a difference between HDMI and Component.[/quote]With good Component cables, there isn't one.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ahh ok so it appears that could be part of the major problem. The fact that I was doing almost all my testing with the component cables.  I think we are getting somewhere now.  

1. Sooo tonight I will test ONLY using the HDMI cable.  

2. I will bypass the splitter right away so its not part of the equation.  Then at that point it should recognize the 360.  

3. Oh and I will also check the settings you mentioned above for the 360 to see if it recognizes the 3d tv.  

4. If that doesnt work then I will try the firmware.  

Thank you for all your quick replies and helpful advice.  I will make sure to follow up with this thread tomorrow after all my testing tonight.

Sorry this didn't help.