Sons account hijacked by [Mod Removed]

My son's account was hijacked by [Mod Removed] last night.  This gamer got into his account, changed the password, and added 2 phone numbers (one from CA and the other a FL number) to gain access to the security code. Fortunately, I am the head of IT and am very familiar with security and was able to swiftly take the account back and place additional security measures on the account.  I personally spoke to the gamer via Xbox and he stated that he did take it and that my son needs to protect his account better (amongst some swear words he through in there).  He told my son to enjoy playing tonight because come morning he was going to "hack" into it again. Specifically, he stated - "Today is going to be your last day on xbox live, good luck trying to figure out your email and password again. Any last words before I steal your account and it is mine forever?" 

I strongly believe this gamer should get suspended from playing on the Xbox.  Regardless of how he accessed the account, he was dishonest and ultimately committed theft which is a crime.  Allowing individuals like this to play with innocent children is frightening.  More than likely this gamer is a teenager (he did not sound like an adult)  and it is just the beginning of what he will be capable of doing later.

After I took all necessary actions to secure the account, I spoke with customer support this morning.   They were very sympathetic but ultimately could do nothing relating to this gamer.  They did however suggest that I post on these forums and take a couple other actions.  In addition, the gamer repeatedly tried to access the account last night as my son received a few messages that an incorrect password was entered.

My son mostly plays with kids from school and I have instructed him along with his friends to no longer play or talk to people they do not know. One positive thing out of this -  my son and his friends have learned a valuable lesson and realize now more than ever that there will be repercussions for dishonest behavior.  

I hope other parents take heed, and learn something from our experience as well.  Watch who your children are playing with and explain to them that you can not trust everyone in the world - there are bad people out there and they will take advantage of innocent and naïve children. 

Xbox also needs to listen up and take actions against these gamers and place additional controls to mitigate these types of risks.  Gaming should be fun and honest.  I will be taking every action possible to ensure something is done.  Not only am I in IT but my husband works in National Security and we take this very seriously.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 12 Applies to:

Sorry but support is incorrect.  It is against the ToU of the forums to name and shame another player.  You can, however, file a complaint about the gamer in question by going to his bio on the console and selecting File Complaint then following the instructions.  This will be sent directly to the PET (Policy Enforcement Team) to investigate and take the necessary action.

As for losing the account.  An account cannot be hacked unless the person who owns the account gives out specific information about it.  You should question your son to see if he was looking to cheat by having the other player "offer" certain incentives for gaming.  Usually this requires the person giving the email/password for the account.  Sometimes they will even ask certain questions that will ensure the person gives them the info without thinking.

As for support.  You should call them back and have them open an Unauthorized Access Ticket for the account.  Then will then be able to tell how the person gained access to the account.

Good luck.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you for your response onyx62is.  After further prodding my son, he finally told me he did give out the account information after this gamer told him he would give him free stuff.  Regardless of the how and why, it is still unacceptable that this gamer knowingly enticed a child to give him his information with the ultimate goal of hijacking the account.  There should be ramifications for such actions.  

My son has learned a valuable lesson from this which is the one positive thing we can take from it.  This apparently is a common theme as one of my son's friends had the same thing happen.  Parents, if you read this post, please discuss this with your children so they do not fall victim to the same fraudulent behavior.

Sorry this didn't help.

If you report that gamer using the in-console reporting system chances are high that their account (and possibly console) will be permanently suspended from Xbox LIVE.  Microsoft does have a way to investigate these matters when obvious log-in details are transmitted over Xbox LIVE.

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree that it is unacceptable that others do this.  All we can do is try to prevent it from happening and report it when it does.

Sorry this didn't help.