Something in my xbox doesnt' power down when i shut it off.

Hi, i've been noticing something strange with my xbox of late, whenever i shut it off something inside won't power down. It's either  a fan or the hard drive but i'm not sure.My console works fine, i haven't had any problems with it playing games or anything and when i do power down everything on xbox screen does shut off. The only way i can completely stop whatever keeps running is to unplug it totally. However if i replug it immediately it's starts right up again, I have to keep it unplugged for a while  and it doens't redo it when i replug it.

This only seems to happen when i use it for long periods of time, if i happen to power up while it's cool and shut it off right away it completely powers down. It never use to do this so is it normal? Should i get it checked?

Thank you

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

Do you have background downloads on? Is a Play and charge kit plugged in? If one of these 2 is on then the xbox will remain "On"

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

On some models of the console the cooling fans remain on for a short period of time when you turn off the console. From what I understand it only happens when the console gets too hot.

Be sure your console has adequate ventilation. It should not be kept in an enclosed space, near another heat source, in direct sunlight, on a carpet or soft surface and you should be dusting it atleast once a week, more if you smoke and/or have pets.

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh thanks, i actually bought a controller recently with a play and charge kit but i often just leave the controller plugged in.

I didn't know it did that. After a bit of testing, my xbox shuts off if the controller is not plugged in, but stays when it is plugged in. Now i feel silly, but at least i learned something new.

Ty for the help

Sorry this didn't help.