Something I miss....Badly!

I miss the good old days when I would open my copy of a brand new game and low and behold what should be inside. A manual! Explaining the back story, the charactors, even the place it's set in. But more importantly than that. The small nuances off gameplay. There is always little things in games these days that are skipped over in the tutorial. In ryse for instance. What's the difference between the little red skull that comes up above their heads as opposed to the white one when starting a finishing move. Or the best way to earn coin in multiplayer or even how that coin is calculated at the end. I remember there was once a time when manuals were the size of small books. I would love to sit down and read through it. It would make feel twice as involved in the story and charactors. Now it's just a pamphlet of how to put the disc in the machine and some websites incase you have problems. Some of the new xbox one games I bought don't even have that. I know these companies are trying to save money but I truly miss the presentation of games of old.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 6 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Totally agree! 

I'm with you man, i miss the old manuals and the smells that came with them.

Totally agree! Now a lot of games have in game manuals instead, which isn't nearly as convenient

I remember one particular ww2 flight sim game I had, Think it may have been Microsoft combat flight sim 2, had a manual that must of been easily I've 150 pages long. It had very in depth history of the conflict and aircraft, plus a great manual for every aspect of the gameplay. If it weren't for the gameplay part it could almost pass for a book in the war section of my local bookshop. Half the time these days you wouldn't get that kind of thing in a collectors edition of a game. To me that was part of the joy of buying new games.

Now, this is something I can get behind! I miss them too!

However, I don't mind if they go all digital & include them as part of the game instead, but those that actually do still seem to be bare-bones & are missing information that could really help. They should be comprehensive...

The funny. Companies are getting so tight, they don't even have an online manual. I know on some of the pc games I play they either have on disc or online. But even those are getting few and far between.

I miss those days too.  Now they release those booklets in the "Limited Editions".  All you get now is a picture of your controller with mapped commands and how to play the game.  

I'm way too impatient to sit and read a manual.  When I open a new game, I want to play it asap.  

I agree bizarro. Everyone likes to get straight into the game. But there was always those times when you wanna know more about the story and stuff. I remember some games would give a whole history on the conflict between two warring factions that just sucked you into the gameplay. And I'm not talking real life here. Even fictional conflicts were fleshed out in great detail. It could almost be the script for a movie. Now half the time you don't even know why their fighting, just that they are. Anyway. That's just my opinion. I mean seriously. I bought a toaster a few days ago that had a thicker manual then any games do these days. And how hard is it to use a toaster? They want to make games more in depth and complex and then give us a 2 minute tutorial in game. I learn more on forums from other players who happened to stumble across something.

I hear you. i do miss being able to read a manual when taking a dump lol not even joking then by teh time i was done i'd kow the controls inside and out. now its all figure it ut, in game manual, or pdf downlaod. at least if they use smartglass (like ryse) we can read manuals from our tablets while on the bowl and thats not bad