Someone isn't using a gamertag

So there's a gamertag I want to change to, but after searching through different websites that check if a gamertag is in use, I found that an account has it, but the profile has been offline for a long while and has 0 Gamerscore. I'm very sure, but not completely that no one is using the account. Is there any way I can get the gamertag to use on my account?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 95 Applies to:

Alright then well thanks for the infromation.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

When I last asked customer support about this issue (about 2 and a half years ago) I was told that XBOX Live gamertags are held on XBOX Live's servers for upwards of 7 years. So if this person does indeed use this account for something other than XBOX (as XBOX Live is not the only use of a gamertag) then that tag will stay active and their tag for as long as they choose to use it. There's no way to know when they will get rid of tags and sometimes they don't even announce when they are going to reset a tag, it'll just happen so keep trying every other day or week or month and maybe one day you'll get lucky if this person has actually been inactive and the tag no longer exists. I know I'm holding out for a special gamertag for the past 4 years now :D

Sorry this didn't help.

I've done some research for you, and currently I can't find any information on how to do this.

We'll have to assume you won't be able to get that gamertag unless the original owner changes the name the said gamertag.

Sorry this didn't help.

What Resistance said is correct.

-

Imagine all the people who didn't know about the swipe and ended up buying accounts just so they could have an 'original' gamertag.

-

People just had to abuse it :/

Sorry this didn't help.

No, there is not. If someone already owns it then it you will not be able to change your Gamertag to it even if it has no Xbox LIVE activity on it. Microsoft did a manual wipe of inactive Gamertags last year, but due to people selling them, they stopped it. I am not sure if they will ever do this again but I would keep an eye on the inactive Gamertag and on MajorNelson.com incase it ever becomes free or another wipe occurs.

Sorry this didn't help.