Someone changed my Gamertag

Recently I was online playing a game when i was signed out for no reason.  When I tried to sign back in it said my account was not valid.  My kids said that it showed me online so I was on the phone with xbox support within 10 minutes.   I told them someone had control of my account.  While I was on the phone with them the person changed my gamertag and we only new this because they were  still showing online on my kids friend list.   Anyway they locked my account and I was without live for almost 3 weeks before they notified me by email that my passport was reset and I could regain my account.   In the email it said that I would be refunded any charges that were done while account was out of my  control and I would be able to restore my gamertag or be allowed one name change. 

When I tried I was unable to restore my gamertag and when I called xbox support they told me once this happens I cannot have the gamertag back ?  Nobody has it and I paid for this gamertag for 8 years is there anyway to get it back ?

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 151 Applies to:

So it's been three weeks since the GT was changed, then? I know that in some cases you can re-claim those tags after they've been unused after some time, but if it's been three weeks, I'm afraid you may need to choose a new tag.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Sounds like you were phished. Try phoning Xbox Support and tell them what happened and they should be able to chase that up for you. Good luck.

Sorry this didn't help.

I did phone them I have my account back I got an email from the investigation team telling me I can change it back to what it was ,but tech support tells me I can't.   I don't understand my they wont give me my gamertag back ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey mate, it's not that we're not 'giving' the tag back as much as it is that it's locked up in the system. The investigation team provided you points to change your account, but I don't believe they're at liberty to say what GTs are available. It sounds like you will need to create a new one, unfortunately.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your answer for you question seems to have already been provided to you but you should also read this to keep your account safe in the future. support.xbox.com/.../account-security.aspx

Sorry this didn't help.

How do i delete this post problem solved.

Sorry this didn't help.

unfortunately i was also damaged by this, GT:[GT Removed] , i was on the GT: [GT Removed] , sent me the info for this account telling me that it was hers and she had to clear her hard drive so i recover this account thinking yayyyy free account.. turns out it is locked and now 1.5 weeks l8r i am console banned, not blaming you, just begging the support team to check out [GT Removed] see if she is responsible

Sorry this didn't help.

fT Foul Play, it is against forum rules to post other users Gamertags in an attempt to "call out" or "name and shame" them, please refrain from doing this in the future.

Sorry this didn't help.

o ok didnt know but i was just providing the facts, and it wont let me edit it for some reason

Sorry this didn't help.