Solution found for purchasing products in the US if you were in another country before

Hi everyone,

I had a problem that seemingly quite a few other players had or have: An Xbox Live account based in a country, then I moved to the US and I cannot change it in my account profile, meaning I cannot buy points or products or whatever that can only be used for an account US-based from the beginning.

Well actually it seems that there is a way around, not a total answer to the problem but at least a partial one. Meaning, you can keep your account, even if the country no longer is the one where you live, and purchase products from the original country of your account (in the currency of that country obviously). This works at least if you are now in the US. You just need to use a debit card instead of a credit card.

Example based on my case: XBox live account based in France, now I am in the US. I bought points in EUR using my US debit card, and purchased a game extension with these points. The extension is available both in FR and in the US. 

Perhaps it does not help anyone or that was already known, but since I have not been able to find this answer on the forum, I thought it would be worth writing.

Question Info

Last updated July 5, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

That won't work always as legal issues will kick in soon after

Credit and debit cards cannot be used long term by foreign accounts You have to call your bank for vacation usage

Your bank will start blocking those transactions in which case can result in suspension for payment options

The best solution is to create a new account based on your new region

As long as dlc is on the same purchasing console then you can use it on the new profile

Or continue to buy prepaid cards from your former region

But you will have issues with certain content That are region locked

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Btw I wouldn't suggest you tell people to try that ms doesn't look favorably on people exploiting bugs

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.