So Many Problems

This is 360 number 2. I will type out my problems that seem to come out of nowhere in a list so that it can be less confusing. Warranty is long gone, and I'm just here to rant for the most part and maybe look for things I can do without dishing out the price of a new xbox just to get this one "repaired." 
This is a old style, white Xbox with the silver looking tray. 

Xbox fails many times in a row to read newer games (ex: I pop in Saints Row 2, loads right up. Prototype 2, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Max Payne 3, etc will give me the Open Tray thing, the Unrecognized Disc Thing or will just keep saying the disc is dirty (it's not).

Sometimes, while trying to get the machine to read one of the aforementioned games, the tray won't open up. It just sits there and blinks at me with the word Opening on the screen, then says reading. When I turn the machine off, I can open the tray to turn it back on. The tray will work afterwards. I just think it's really weird that it doesn't want to work.

While playing Max Payne 3, Mass Effect 3 and sometimes other games, the graphics will degrade, sound will disappear and/or it will just freeze up all together. However, I can play GTA 4 or Saints Row just fine. Why is this?

Those are a few of the bigger problems I'm having. I've been searching throughout google for help, but most of it requires taking it apart, smacking the top of the machine or sending it in for repairs. I'm not going through costumer support because I know they will tell me to try all of the things I've been trying for over 4 months now. I also know they will just tell me to send it in, along with an additional $100+ for "repairs." That's money I don't have, and if I did I'd just buy a new one or get a PS3. 

Why is it that I should be made to pay money to fix something that should have no issues to begin with? I understand things break or need repairs, like cars and homes. But this is a video game console. And the company that requests the cash is already being paid in many other ways. I pay for online gaming, for some reason, while others are playing for free with PS3s and Wiis and even hand held gaming systems. I paid for the system. I paid for the games. I paid for hard drives, controllers, accessories, etc. 

Basically, I'm just looking for some people who know what I'm talking about and may have some kind of advice or whatever. If anyone has the same problems I'm having, and have found ways to fix it without trashing it, let me know. 

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 3 Applies to:

This sounds really bad. I had similar problems on an older console and all that it required was a good can of air cleaning. ( I live in a dusty part of the world and it gets dirty quick) Making sure to not let the air get so cold as to damage the unit. A bit of dust on the eye can make all kinds of things out of whack.  That might help you out but it sounds like your machine is a bit newer than mine. Of course the other plan of action would be to call customer support. It might be worth a ten min phone call if your still under warranty. Best of luck to you.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I'm not under warranty anymore. But, I think I'll try that can of air stuff. The xbox stays in the basement and I have tried cleaning it out, but never with the can of air method. Thanks.

Sorry this didn't help.

Also, I don't think it's a cleanliness problem. If it reads one disc, shouldn't be able to read the other? JUST NOW, I put in Dead Island and the icon came up, no problem. I took it out and placed Prototype on the tray, pushed the button to close the tray and.... black screen for a bit, then "Hey, your disc that's just now been cleaned is dirty."

Sorry this didn't help.

Greetings, THE1AUTOCRAT! I'm very sorry to hear about your experience. I can definitely appreciate the fact that you don't want to send your console in for a repair, however given the description of your issues in the original post, it definitely appears as though your console needs it.

If you need any guidance about the repair process, you can find information in this support article titled "How to get your Xbox product repaired". Thanks and please let us know if there are any questions we can answer for you.

Sorry this didn't help.

See, I understand that this could be possible. But there's something stopping me from going down the "pay for repairs" route.

The xbox plays fine as long as it's an older game. What kind of hardware would be selective about how broken it is? That's like saying your car is broke only when your aunt is riding with you. It just doesn't make any sense at all.

I can play Dead Island, Halo 3, Saints Row 2, Minecraft, and probably more without it ever giving me the Open Tray thing. But when I try to play a few other games, it takes it forever to load it. And even then, it will pop up the window telling me to clean the disc. Keep in mind, I clean every disc when I play a game. Especially when I know it doesn't want to play.

In short, none of this sounds like a call for repairs to me. It's just extremely weird and I'm kind of looking for someone who might be more knowledgeable about it to give me some more answers besides, "I don't know, try throwing hard cash at it. That solves everything."

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks for following up, THE1AUTOCRAT. The descriptions in your original post about how your console freezes, the disc tray won't open correctly, and the graphics degrade definitely points to a repair. However, it's definitely up to you whether you want to send it in or not. Regardless of your decision, please make sure to refrain from any self or unauthorized repairs as that would violate the Terms of Use.

If you'd like to conduct some more tests just to cover all your bases before sending your console in, I would recommend running through the troubleshooters related to the issues you are experiencing. "Screen Freeze Solution" and "Disc Drive Solution" would be a good place to start. 

Hope this helps provide you with some further steps going forward. Keep us posted on how the troubleshooter work out. 

Sorry this didn't help.