So How Do You Think "Skyrim" Compares To "Oblivion"?

So technical and visual improvements aside, do you think Bethesda made a better game with "Skyrim" than they did with "Oblivion" and why?

Az

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 0 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My first inclination is to say badly, but then it occurs to me that it's quite a while since I properly played Oblivion vanilla and that makes it a lot harder for me to make a fair comparison.

There are definately areas I find to be lacking in Skyrim, although Oblivion had it's fair share of faults as well.

The User Interface is one big issue I have with the game, the inventory system and the journal particularly, although the map and perks could also do with a greater focus on functionality. Oblivions UI wasn't great but it was better on a number of fronts.

I was quite dissapointed that the Dark Brotherhood lost all the magic it had in Oblivion. It was just generic, like the rest of the questlines (that's not much of a change from Oblivion) and short, and they all end exactly the same way, almost exactly the same way they ended in Oblivion.

And talking of generic the inclusion of generic characters as filler in the game, not a good choice in my opinion, I know some people didn't like the people in Oblivion who didn't have much to say beyond rumours but it's better than characters that don't say anything other than the same line over and over again.

These reasons and more would lead me to say that Oblivion is the better game, though I wouldn't want to play either of them for a long period of time without modifications of some sort.

At the moment I can't say, I've only just recently played Oblivion for the first time and all I can say is that it can be frustrating at times, more so than Skyrim, and mainly due to the controls.  I need to give Oblivion a bit more time before I could comment any further.

I can't stand the Skyrim map.  The main roads linking the cities aren't mapped out very well so I seem to spend most of my time going cross-country and then getting pissed off when I can't get over some mountains and have to well out of my way to get round them.

One thing I do like is that the NPCs in the street often have something intersting to say as you walk past unlike in Oblivion where you just got "WELL MET?!" or "WHAT?!" or "You have my ear citizen" which got annoying.

Besides that, the game is OK.  Not as gripping as I thought it will be.  I've only played 14 hours since Xmas.  That needs to change.

But at the moment: Oblivion > Skyrim

Skyrim sh**s all over oblivion.

[quote user="NickWba18"]

Skyrim sh**s all over oblivion.

[/quote]

Personally I enjoyed Oblivion a LOT more. I find Skyrim incredibly over-rated.

Ask me again when I've finished Skyrim. Just passed the 100 hour mark.

I racked up 120+ hours on Oblivion before I felt that there was not much else to do, it feels like I'm only half way through Skyrim to be honest!

Although I'm enjoying Skyrim, I definitely enjoyed Oblivion so much more. I kinda miss the Arena aswell, and none of the cites have that Imperial City feel to them which is another thing i miss. I also just generally prefer Oblivions Map over Skyrims. All the cites seem to be wooden shacks and lack any real character aside from a few of the bigger ones, but none of them feel as grand and adventurous as the Citys in Oblivion. The snowy scenery everywhere isn't really helping either, i know there are forest areas and such, but in general, everywhere i seem to go/look is just a grand plain of white surrounded by mountains that i have to scale over to get where I want to go. Overall though Skyrim isn't a bad game, and I'm totally enjoying my time with it, It's just not as magic as playing Oblivion was.

For me, Skyrim is technically more advanced and has a far better engine, but Oblivion is a far better game. The faction questlines in Skyrim are particularly disappointing. I also think that Morrowind is far superior to either of them...

[quote user="Akane Kurashiki"]

For me, Skyrim is technically more advanced and has a far better engine, but Oblivion is a far better game. The faction questlines in Skyrim are particularly disappointing. I also think that Morrowind is far superior to either of them...

[/quote]

Alas, "Morrowind", while an absolutely brilliant fantasy adventure, is overshadowed by "Oblvion".

"Morrowind" for all it's depth and intrigue essentially boils down to being a loot driven RPG where your goal is always to get the best stuff.

In fact there are very few people who could actually play "Morrowind" nowadays without starting off with a checklist to loot steal the Grand Soul Gem and sell it to the Creeper, then go and find the Lord's Mail and numerous other powerful artifacts and making a trip out to the Temple Treasury at Ghostgate for gold and Ebony weapons.

"Oblivion" is a character driven RPG and more of an RPG than any other game out there.

Players played the role of their character.  Unfortunately without someone to hold their hand and create a backstory and provide motivations and aspirations, too many loot minded players found more than enough rope to hang themselves.

You could have multiple playthroughs in "Oblvion" and each one of them would be vastly different from the previous one.  After all what self respecting mage would join the Fighter's Guild?  What self respecting warrior would join the Thieves Guild?

"Skyrim" has brought us some really great technical improvements and some stunning visuals but unfortunately too many people need assistance in their roleplay so the stories are pretty concrete to help these people out and as a result we have less mystery.

Still, all 3 (if you include "Morrowind) are amazing games and the absolute coolest thing I've ever seen were the Mushroom Palaces of the Telvanni Magisters in "Morrowind" who's houses had no stairs so that they would never be bothered by those unworthy of their magic.

Az