Slow Hard Drive

Hello, just today i got a new hard drive off of amazon. A Generic 250GB HDD. Upon use of it i have realized that it is painfully slow at points like when i was transfering content over from my old hard drive and updating my games and redownloading my DLC. At times when i go to the guide menu it seems as it has froze for about 15 seconds before continuing. I also went to go play halo 4 to test it out (had to go through the long download of the multiplayer so i decided to go to campaign), usually on my old HDD when i would load up a campaign level it would take about 30 seconds max to load it up 100%. On this it was going 1 % every 20 or so seconds. I am installing the game to my HDD right now to see if that helps. Any tips? or is this just because it is a generic hard drive?

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 26 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hey there ExCLuSiivE nUKe,

Sometimes a slow HDD can be a sign of a corrupt system update. Did you update the HDD after purchasing it? If not, I would suggest re-installing the update and see if that makes your console run quicker.

Just head on over to system settings. Click on Storage. Then, with your controller press Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Well im in the middle of installing halo 4 so i cant do it right now but yes i updated the HDD (well i think i did, updating it would be the system update that you get upon turning on the console, correct?)

Sorry this didn't help.

U can try to clear the new hard drive system cache,  or u can try to reformat the hard drive,  if u still think something is wrong with the hard drive ,  u can try and put it on a computer with sata ports and check the hard drive for errors, or bad blocks / sectors.

Sorry this didn't help.

Is this an official xbox 360 slim HDD?

I ask because you said "generic", and anything other than the official thing will cause you nothing but trouble, and is actually against the TOU.

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont have a slim and no its not the official (hence why i said generic). This is a generic 250HDD for the older 360 model

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft does not license it's internal hard drive to other manufacturers.  Generic Xbox 360 hard drives are standard 2.5" laptop hard drives that have had their file system altered to support the Xbox 360 console.  These hard drives are typically cheaper than the official units, but their disadvantages far outweigh the price you pay for them.

Potential problems you may encounter include:

1.  Poor operation, slow speed.
2.  The drive may not be new, it could be a 'refurbished' old laptop drive of unknown age. It could even be a faulty unit.
3.  Drive may fail completely in the future, taking all of your save games and downloads with it.
4.  Fake hard drives do not generally support original Xbox games.
5.  In the future, Microsoft may disable your 'Generic' hard drive.

All in all, it would be best to return that unit and buy an official Xbox hard drive.

Sorry this didn't help.

Returning it would be dumb seeing as i got this HDD and another generic 120 GB HDD for free. I would expect disadvantages in something generic but its made up due to low price.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="ExCLuSiivE nUKe"]I would expect disadvantages in something generic but its made up due to low price.[/quote]You factor deactivation of the accessory into that equation?

There are no licensed third party HDDs for the 360. Use of unlicensed accessories is prohibited as per the Terms of Use.

Sorry this didn't help.

When the price in the equation is free. If they deactivate it, i dont lose any money

Sorry this didn't help.

tansfer your licence items to your new drive,  use usb for saves and misc,

support.xbox.com/.../download-content

u should try to return,  i would not use the generic but thats me,  u can try to get that new drive reformated,  there are ways but u should try google search.  also that drive might already have corrupted files ,  or a bad drive,  not knowin if it is really used or new or just refurb.  try to check the manufactured date on the hard drive sticker inside of case.  ether way its bad idea to use generic drive,  the only thing i would use it for is a external drive for media, music, movies, pictures,  not profile, or xbox content, of any kind

Sorry this didn't help.