Skyrim- Leveling system.

Ok so.... Is the leveling system on Skyrim intelligent? Or is like Oblivion where as you level up so do the "enemies" which kind of canceled out any point in leveling up. Hence as my achievements show I completed Oblivions main story line within about 6 hours of actual gameplay and only having to close 2 Oblivion gates, the first "tutorial" one and the main gate.

So is there any value to leveling up in Skyrim? Will I actually meet a monster that I cannot defeat and run off telling myself one day I will return with the strength to defeat it. After all its meant to be a RPG and them kind of things are what RPGS fun.

Discussion Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 8 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Check out UESP for more in depth leveling information It looks like some enemies will become more challenging the more your level grows, however, there will be several higher level areas that, for a low-level, they will find inherently more difficult than someone higher. The main value in leveling is the ability to access higher level abilities via the new Constilation perk trees. Similar to Oblivion where you put points into Stength/Agility etc, this time around those skill trees have their own individual leveling tree, which leads to far more depth in leveling than just 9/10 different areas to spend your hard earned points. Leveling will also define what loot drops and what items you come across on your travels, ie, in dungeon chests etc.

[quote user="Ooh im good"]

Ok so.... Is the leveling system on Skyrim intelligent? Or is like Oblivion where as you level up so do the "enemies" which kind of canceled out any point in leveling up. Hence as my achievements show I completed Oblivions main story line within about 6 hours of actual gameplay and only having to close 2 Oblivion gates, the first "tutorial" one and the main gate.

[/quote]

That's really a shame.  There are hundreds of hours of gameplay to be enjoyed in "Oblivion" and you finished it in 6.

If you had explored you would have met creatures that would have destroyed you at a low level and if you had continued to level up you would have discovered some pretty challenging enemies as well.

Don't make the same mistake in "Skrim".

If you want to spoil your experience comb the internet looking for someone else telling you how to play or create the perfect build.

The fact of the matter is the game is designed to allow a number of drastically different character types to succed and ocmplete the different quests.

Hopefully you'll not make the same mistake a 2nd time.

Az

'

If you had explored you would have met creatures that would have destroyed you at a low level and if you had continued to level up you would have discovered some pretty challenging enemies as well.'

Well, to be fair, if you're a low level in Oblivion most of the enemies you'll be meeting are Imps and wolves. You might find some lowish level trolls near Bruma.

The only high level baddies you get at a low level are mission specific.

Like doing that Fighters Guild quest where you have a cave of Trolls to clear out   Or during the Arena where the opponet is 10 levels above you.

You can't wander around at level 2 and find Lich Kings or Skeleton Heroes.  So Az isn't quite being truthful.

Actually a joke in parts. first mission of the companians guild and its near impossible as level 2. I think its a radiant quest though, so I will return one day!

[quote user="Praetorian VIII"]

So Az isn't quite being truthful.

[/quote]

Actually Azrael's being correct.

Umbra's level is fixed and a low level character who wants her Ebony armour will be stomped flat.

The guards will als o kill you to death immediately if you mess with them at lower levels.

As you hit the mid levels in "Oblivion" mountain lions and bears will make short work of you and as you hit the Top Tier Battle Lord Goblins and certain trolls will force you to flee.

Az

Umbra is a mission specific enemy (even if you can encounter her outside of the mission), which is probably why he said 'The only high level baddies you get at a low level are mission specific. Most of the Daedric-shrine enemies are not level-scaled IIRC.

-

I think that having most of the enemies scale to your level sort of diminished the sense of progression in that game. How's free travel in skyrim? Have they got rid of it? It was like you were omniscient in Oblivion, whereas in Morrowind at least you had to find a slit rider

[quote user="Azrael008uk"]

[quote user="Praetorian VIII"]

So Az isn't quite being truthful.

[/quote]

Actually Azrael's being correct.

Umbra's level is fixed and a low level character who wants her Ebony armour will be stomped flat.

The guards will als o kill you to death immediately if you mess with them at lower levels.

As you hit the mid levels in "Oblivion" mountain lions and bears will make short work of you and as you hit the Top Tier Battle Lord Goblins and certain trolls will force you to flee.

Az

[/quote]

It's the main problem with Oblivion's levelling system.  You don't feel like you've levelled up at all.  You could have a level 25 character and instead of being able to smash the weaker enemies around in a show of you awesome new powers, you're fighting for your life every time you enter a cave full of Lich or Goblin Warlords. 

It makes levelling kind of pointless unless you lower the difficulty bar a jot once you meet the harder beasties.

Of course, I'm not like the OP though.  I do level up.  It would get boring if all I did was beat up rats. 

Maybe if you fast travelled everywhere you'd miss out on just how far you'd advanced.

Around level 11 if I heard a Mountain Lion the only safe place was a pool of water.  Otherwise I'd be dead.

Eventually I was strong enough to destroy these creatures and it was really satisfying when I could as well.

Your high level character in "Oblivion" could make mince meat out of practically any foe.  The level scaling helped to ensure you could still be challenged even at the top end (and even then, rarely).

And of course if you objected to having to concentrate in a battle you could always simply drop the difficulty slider to easy.

Az

Wandered just outside of Whiterun, got torn apart by a Sabretooth thing, next time i ran past it into the river and killed it with arrows, tbh i don't want to destroy everything, i wanna feel like i'm getting more powerful as i level up.