Six years and I'm done with Xbox 360

Let me start off by saying I loved Xbox but I just can't do it anymore. This is my 3rd console that has the RRoD completely out of the blue and now only boots for 40 seconds before completely locking up. Called support and they told me to send it in for repair for $120. I told them I'm sorry but I'm not paying $120 to have a 3rd console fixed. They then said they could repair it for $99. I again told them that paying to have a 3rd console repaired is unacceptable at any cost. My PS3 is just as old as this latest Xbox and has about as many hours on it and it's still functioning. Heck, my original Xbox still works! Here's where it gets almost funny. Support tells me they're sorry for my experience with Xbox and this isn't what they want for their customers but if I'd buy the new Elite system it's built with much more robust hardware and doesn't have the "quirks and failure rate" of the old white-shelled consoles. I politely replied with "I hope that's the case but I'm not willing to spend another $300 to be part of an experiment and then potentially be having this conversation a 4th time." So the representative basically just told me the white consoles are known to have problems but my best recourse would be to buy a brand new system and try it again. Umm, no. I just got off the phone canceling my XBL subscription completely.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2 Applies to:

Well, the rep was right....the previous versions all had problems with overheating and such.  

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hey OP, sorry to hear you are having problems with your console. I can sympathise as I am on number 4 myself.

Just wanted to mention something in case you are not aware of it. The RROD is covered by the extended 3 year warranty so if you have had your console under that time limit a repair would be free.
Did support check the warranty status of your console?, if not you can do that yourself on the website just to be sure.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, my console is outside of the 3 year warranty. I understand the warranty period is up but it's very frustrating that my 4 year old PS3 is still going and my 10 year old Xbox still plays games like a champ. I would also be more understanding if this was my first failure but it's the 3rd. I'm simply not going to put any more money into this product only to get questionable reliability at best. Life goes on without it...

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry that was no help, I just wanted to let you know about it in case it was not looked into.

That it does & good gaming to you.

Sorry this didn't help.

I hate when crap like that makes gamers turn their cheek to Xbox! Our community is a unique bunch and I'm personally sorry to see you leave. I wish there were something that I could do.

Sorry this didn't help.

While the console has been known for its hardware failures we also need to keep in mind that the environment it is exposed to also determines if it gets RRoD.

-If you smoke and/or have pets you should be dusting the console several times a week. If your console is near a window and gets direct sunlight that would add heat to it. -If your console is near a heat vent and/or another device that outputs alot of heat that will add heat to it.

-If your console is enclosed in an entertainment unit or other enclosure that will add heat to it.

And I don't believe you when you say the Xbox and the PS3 get the same play time equally. Not with the PSN being down for over a month.

Either way gaming is a choice. If you feel that a product/service does not meet your expectations then you are free to choose another that does.

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm not a smoker and I'm a bit of a clean freak so dust isn't the issue. It's on an open shelf on a wall that doesn't get sunlight as I don't like it on shining on my television. That's fine you don't believe me when I tell you that my PS3 has about the same play time on but I'm telling you it does. My PS3 doubles as my movie player in the bedroom and I have a Blockbuster mail subscription (like Netflix). I watch approximately 15 - 20 hours just in Blurays a week on it plus gaming. Again, if it's an environmental issue (heat, dust, sunlight, etc.) than why are my original Xbox, PS3 and HD DVR still functioning? They're all on open shelves approximately 2 feet from each other.

I do prefer the Xbox and by far prefer the XBL service versus the PSN. However, I'm simply not willing to buy another Xbox console and be sitting in this predicament again with a $300 boat anchor. I'm not asking for this thing to function like a Panasonic Toughbook but I would expect it to be able to at least match the hardware reliability of the original Xbox.

Sorry this didn't help.

Playing a VIDEO GAME and playing a MOVIE are two different things. Playing a movie doesn't utilize the disc drive as much as playing a game does. The requirements for each is different in concerns of the graphics card.

With each new revision of the Xbox console the chances of getting RRoD have become less and less. But since gaming is a choice, you are free to choose whatever system you want for your gaming needs.

Sorry this didn't help.

[quote user="GHull3"]I watch approximately 15 - 20 hours just in Blurays a week on it plus gaming.[/quote]PS3 doesn't spin DVDs at 12x for hours on end. The rotational speed for a 2x Blu-ray drive is significantly lower than a 12x DVD drive.[quote]I would expect it to be able to at least match the hardware reliability of the original Xbox.[/quote]There exists no other consumer electronics device that attempts to spin a DVD at 12x for literally HOURS on end. Between the heat and vibration, it's no wonder the older XBOX consoles were unreliable.

With install to disc and the component reduction, the 360 S should be the most reliable 360 model to date. Up to you if letting your 360 game collection go by the wayside is worth it.

Sorry this didn't help.