Sick of wireless, using a new wired connection, can't connect

I ran a new ethernet cord through the house so I can connect to the internet after the repeated "server connection timeout" issue grew old.

I am in USA and have Road Runner, using an Ambit modem/router combo. I've used all the solutions in the wizard located <a href="http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live/connecting/cant-connect-to-xbox-live-wizard">here</a>.

I'm not an IT whiz so it's possible I didn't do something right. My IP on XBox when set to Automatic shows up as starting with 169 instead of 192.168.0.1 like it should. The subnet mask shows up as 255.255.0.0 instead of 255.255.255.0 like IP config suggests.

The tutorial says that if my IP shows up with 169 (like it does) or 0.0.0.0 (like my default gateway does) then it's a DHCP issue. DHCP was already enabled according to the steps I followed by going to Networking, clicking Local Area Connection, Properties, IPv4 etc.

Perhaps when I went into the router I didn't do it correctly? I've tried creating a manual IP and automatic detection, neither worked. It's registering that it's wired, but not obtaining the correct IP sequence, subnet or default gateway. I can't connect to the modem/router to even attempt to connect to LIVE.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 7 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Have you tried running the connection test on the console to see if any errors pop up to help you trouble shoot this issue? Also have you tried resetting the router and modem, this sometimes needs to be done to accept the changes from your modem and be able to use the console when switching from wireless to a wired connection.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi what is the exact model of Ambit it should have a stick on it showing the model number, have you reset your Xbox network settings to factory defaults?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have restarted the modem/router several times with no luck. I've unplugged it, reset it, even restored factory defaults and reconfigured everything with no luck. I was able to get wireless, so it's not the internet itself, but the wired connection. I've gone through the connection test at least 20 times. When I have an assigned static IP, it says it cannot connect due to the static IP. When I have it set to automatic, it says it cannot retrieve an IP from the modem/router. I've gone through those suggestions as well as all of the wizard suggestions online with no help..

As far as my Modem.

On the bottom of the router it says "U10C019.43 LF" and "E200037116-02".

When I log into the router in the address bar, this is the information I receive:

Cable Modem Information

Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant

MAC Address : 00:22:68:af:38:30

Serial Number : 8790311002489

Boot Code Version : 2.1.6d

Software Version : 5.66.1026

Hardware Version : 4.10

Sorry this didn't help.

When your PC is connected to the modem what ip address does it have when you run an "command prompt" and type in ipconfig ?

I'm just wondering whether the Ambit is setup correctly, could you connect ok when it was wireless?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is set to a static IP of 192.168.0.18

I set XBox static IP to 192.168.0.84

The wireless was hit or miss, which is why I chose to go with a Wired connection finally. I was constantly getting bad connections, 3 bars in the game. My NAT was always on strict. And I'd get the Server Connection Timed Out issue, only to join back into the same exact game, which means it was my wireless dropping my connection.

I want something with a more reliable and faster connection. It was rare to get 4 bars in a match

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok so if you have it set up as 192.168.0.84 have you set the gateway to 192.168.0.1 ?

Do you have a different shorter Ethernet cable you can try, direct to the router as a test?

Sorry this didn't help.

The subnet is 255.255.255.0, the gateway is 192.168.0.1, correct. When I set the XBox to automatically detect the settings, it comes up with a 169 IP, a subnet of 255.255.0.0 and no default gateway.

I have an Ethernet cord hooked up from the router to the PC which works fine, the XBox and TV are both in a different room, I had to run a 100' Ethernet through 2 walls to get it there, so there isn't much of a shorter route or way of testing it other than relocating the devices into this room, which really isn't an option.

Sorry this didn't help.

Ok, I was just wondering whether you had a standard Ethernet cable that you could use and put the Xbox close to the router to see if that works (only as a test)

I have seen issues with certain types of cables in the past including using a PC on the same cable and it working fine with the PC.

Sorry this didn't help.

I wish I could do that to rule out whether or not it's the Ethernet cable but it wouldn't be worth the hassle. I've already spent hours trying to figure this out. I just plugged my wireless adapter back in and the port forwarding worked, my NAT is now open so the connection is a bit better. But still frustrated I spent 2 days trying to get a wired connection (which should be easier than wireless!!) and it doesn't work at all.

Sorry this didn't help.

Your right it should be easier. I would say either the cable is the problem or the Ethernet port of the Xbox, but to prove which you will really need to hook it up to your router for that test or take it to a friends to try out

Sorry this didn't help.