Sick of having random disconnections and incorrect messages...

Basically I upgraded from my old 20GB xbox to the new 250gb one. With my old console I used the dual antenna wireless and network adapter. At first I was happy with using the built in wireless on the new xbox however I only get a one bar connection, so i decided to use the W n N adapter on the new xbox. Now it says I have full bars on the network test which is at times good. But even though I have full connection I still get dropped from games randomly or sometimes cant connect to Live meaning I have to go downstairs and reset my router. The thing that really bugs me is that if I leave the adapter unplugged I'll connect to live fine, but if I plug it in ill get dropped and then the xbox continues to give me crummy tips on how to fix it. The thing that does make me laugh is that it seems to change its mind on what the problem is. For example today on the network test it failed to connect to just the router, but then 5 minutes later it will fail on xbox live or the internet icon. It also claims that my MTU is below 1300 which it isn't!

I do use a USB extension cable which I link to the xbox and then attach the adapter to on the other end. This increases my connection well.
Before you say, YES I have checked my router and have done everything I could to it. PLUS, Playstation, laptops, ipods all stay connected to the router (with very good signal) without any disruptions what so ever, Im yet to have a problem with them.

Please fix my problem!!!!

Router specs:

D-Link DSL-2740R
PPPOE VC-MUX
MTU - 1450
NAT - Open
Channel 6

TalkTalk Broadband
Approx 6.2MB Internet

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:

The X Box seems to struggle when N is utilised , mine would disconnect randomly all the time , i fixed it by manually setting the wireless channel to  11 and disabling N in the wireless interface type section of my router , (by selecting 802.11 b/g as opposed to 802.11 b/g/n) Yes i realise N has a greater range it depends if you can live without it or not.

Also usb extentions can introduce "noise" into your wireless signal making it prone to drop out (although im not saying this is the issue

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thankyou Ill that, it's just annoying seeing as my connection 'use' to be fine!!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.