Shouldn't a one-year warranty mean that a console has to survive for a full year before it expires?

I was a day-one adopter of the Xbox One (and a customer since I was a teenager and the original Xbox was released).  My first One suffered from the grinding disc reader issue and was replaced after about 7 months after the problem made the console unusable.  I was sent a replacement console as I was still under warranty.  Seven months after that, my replacement console is suffering from the same issue along with a few new problems.  Neither console made it a full year, but since my original console is out of warranty, I'm expected to pony up $150 to fix it this time.

I've tried online chat, Twitter, 1-800-4MY-XBOX, and feedback.xbox.com and they all result in the same thing: "Sorry...I don't know what to tell you other than submit an online support request."  My post on feedback.xbox.com was even locked and removed a month ago with the message "We have collected your specific feedback and it has been allocated for distribution to the proper teams. Thank you for your input!" though I haven't heard a word since.  Is there any way to contact someone at this company that actually has the authority to do something?  I feel like my case is a no-brainer from a customer service standpoint, but no one that can actually be contacted has the authority to do anything.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 59 Applies to:

Hello,

Thanks for the support message.

You may contact an official Xbox Support Agent by dialing that number you listed above, or going to support.xbox.com/contact-us and chat or request a phone call from an agent.  However, for suggestions, they will just re-direct you to that feedback page again.

An alternative would be, is that you wait for an agent to reply to this thread.

Should you have any other inquiries, feel free to post back.

Cheers!

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

While I appreciate someone reading and highlighting the fine print of the warranty for me, I already understood the policy.  My point wasn't that the warranty actually does cover my situation, but rather that it should.  One rep suggests that I need help reading and another tries to up-sell me on a new system as a solution to MS selling me two defective products...interesting customer service.

Why would I spend $150 on a repair (let alone $350 on a brand new console) when I haven't been able to get my initial investment to work properly?  I fully understand your warranty policy, I just don't think it's very customer friendly.  I'm frustrated enough that this is make-or-break for me: I would rather cancel my Live subscription (I've already cancelled the auto-renew) and sell my broken machine on Ebay than continue to financially support a company that cares this little about customer loyalty.

Sorry this didn't help.

Aah, thanks for clearing that up, I was definitely under the impression you were employees.  Your answers make far more sense now knowing you're not.  I apologize if I was hostile.  I've not had to use Xbox customer service since my first 360 had the red ring back in '05 or '06, so I'm out-of-the-loop on a few things.

It just goes to show how far customer service has dropped off here: they were really helpful and easy to contact then, but I can't seem to get anyone that actually works for the company AND has the authority to do something other than read a script.

Sorry this didn't help.

Murrays Heroes,

Definitely hate to hear that you are having difficulties with your console. However, the warranty covers the entire system. So if one component fails, the remaining components in the console have undergone the same amount of wear. So if Microsoft repaired that one component and extended the warranty for another year and then a different component fails at the 11th month since the last repair, would you want it extended another year again (essentially components having 2 years of wear now)? People could easily abuse the system. Very similar to a car warranty. if you got a 10,000 mile warranty and battery went dead, you wouldn't expect the dealership to extended it for another 10,000 miles for the entire car and it's the same concept here.

Hindsight is 20-20 but you could have spent a little bit extra for an extended service warranty and been covered for 3 years from console purchase (1 year standard + 2 year extended). Obviously, this becomes a risk versus reward. If your console never failed in the 3 years you'd basically feel like you wasted money for something that never happened. However, if it did fail, the warranty would cover the repairs.

Overall, I know this doesn't necessarily make you feel any better and we all expect solid quality of any product that we purchase, but we also have means to prevent costly repairs later in the event something does occur. As you are already aware, the only thing that can be done at this point to filing a repair request through https://myservice.xbox.com (which would then give you a 95 day warranty post-repair) or purchasing a new console and getting a full 1 year again. Honestly, with the price reductions, bundles, and 1 TB hard drives, I personally would almost want to give another console. Hope this provides a little insight.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Apologies, but according to the Xbox One Warranty terms of use, you agreed to the Xbox One Warranty.  Please see area of the ToU that I have highlighted in reference to your post.

BY USING YOUR XBOX ONE OR ACCESSORY, YOU AGREE TO THIS WARRANTY. BEFORE SETTING UP YOUR XBOX ONE OR ACCESSORY, PLEASE READ THIS WARRANTY CAREFULLY. IF YOU DO NOT ACCEPT THIS WARRANTY, DO NOT USE YOUR XBOX ONE OR ACCESSORY. RETURN IT UNUSED TO YOUR RETAILER OR MICROSOFT FOR A REFUND. Contact us for help with Xbox One or accessory hardware warranty issues. This warranty gives You specific legal rights. You may also have other rights which vary from State to State or Province to Province.

1. Definitions

a) “Accessory” means a new Microsoft branded Xbox 360 or Xbox One hardware accessory purchased from an authorized retailer.

b) “Xbox One” means a new Xbox One console and Kinect Sensor purchased from an authorized retailer.

c) “Normal Use Conditions” means ordinary consumer use under normal home conditions according to the instruction manual for the Xbox One or Accessory.

d) “Province” means any Canadian province or territory, and “Canada” includes all of them.

e) ”State” means a State, the District of Columbia, and any other United States territory or possession. “The United States of America” includes all of them.

f) “You” means the original end-user.

g) "Warranty Period" for Xbox One means 1 year from the date You purchased it; and for Accessories, means 90 days from the date You purchased it

4. Microsoft’s Responsibility

(a) After You return Your Xbox One or Accessory to Microsoft (at your cost, unless Microsoft is required by law to pay such costs), Microsoft will inspect it.

(b) If Microsoft determines that the Xbox One or Accessory malfunctioned during the Warranty Period under Normal Use Conditions, Microsoft will (at its option) repair or replace it, or refund the purchase price to You. Unless restricted by law, repair may use new or refurbished parts and replacement may be with a new or refurbished unit.

(c) After repair or replacement, Your Xbox One or Accessory will be covered by this warranty for the longer of the remainder of Your original Warranty Period, or 95 days after Microsoft ships it to You. Where required by applicable law, the original Warranty Period will be deemed to extend for the period of time equal to the time which Your Xbox One or Accessory was in Microsoft’s possession.

(d) The following is not intended to limit the application of Section 10 of the Quebec Consumer Protection Act, if such section is otherwise applicable. Microsoft’s RESPONSIBILITY to repair or replace Your Xbox One or Accessory, or to refund the purchase price, is Your exclusive remedy.

(e) If Your Xbox One or Accessory malfunctions after the Warranty Period expires, there is no warranty of any kind. After the Warranty Period expires, Microsoft may charge You a fee for its efforts to diagnose and service any problems with Your Xbox One or Accessory.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

First thing is first, we are not Microsoft Representatives of any way, shape, or form.  We are Xbox user just like you, that are in the Ambassadors program that would like to help you.  The only users that are official Microsoft employees that you will see around here, are the ones with a Level S or X under their name.

I apologize that you think that way about Microsoft's ToU, but again, if you didn't agree with it (like how you clearly said above) then their policy states to not use their service.  Again, I apologize that it's not fair, or you didn't get your initial investment in purchasing a console.  However, I don't really know what else to tell you.  You have already submitted the appropriate feedback to the appropriate teams for investigation.

Cheers!

Sorry this didn't help.