Should the XBOX ONE be left plugged into a power source?

Should the XBOX ONE be plugged into a power source and never unplugged when not in use? Or is it ok to unplug it from power, when not being used? I was wondering if it's better for the XBOX ONE, to leave it plugged in or to unplug it?

Thanks

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 2,705 Applies to:

This would be interesting to know.  Seeing that the Kinect is listening for the "Xbox on" phrase while off, the consumption must be higher than before.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

The Xbox One has 2 different "off" modes and you can choose between them in the settings.

One option turns the system fully off (almost). Just like the 360, the console turns off, the light on the PSU changes colour, and the fan in the PSU stops spinning. There is a small bit of power draw as obviously it needs that so you can turn it back on with your controller. When you turn the console back on, the boot up time is slow, as it's like cold booting a PC.

The other option puts the Xbox One into a kind of sleep mode. When you turn the console off, the power supply light stays white and the fan in it will continue to run (unfortunately). While it's asleep, the console can download game and system updates, the console will control your other electronics such as your TV, AV receiver or cable box, and you can say "Xbox on" to wake the console up. Also, in future, you'll be able to suspend the state of your games so you can instantly wake the Xbox One up and carry on from where you left off (that feature is available now, but it's still in beta). Booting up the system is much faster in this mode, as it only takes 10-15 seconds.

As for which is better, it depends. Turning the console fully off means it consumes less power when it's turned off, but you lose access to the features that the sleep mode provides. Using the sleep option means that you get the cool features and fast boot up, but the console draws much more power (still not a huge amount though!) and it means your PSU is on all the time.

Here's the power consumption figures: -

Xbox turned off (but not unplugged from the wall obviously!) = 0.22 Watts

Xbox in sleep mode = 15.3 Watts 

Sorry this didn't help.

I dunno, but if your brick is like mine, when you unplug it, it'll keep running.

I timed it and I had a residual charge for 5 minutes that kept the led on even when unplugged from both the console and the wall.

Sorry this didn't help.

The Xbox One is meant to be left on in standby mode.  It does consume more power that way, but it allows for the voice wake feature and the faster startup.  Unplugging the unit will save some power, but you will lose the extra features.

Sorry this didn't help.