Should I try out DMZ Plus on my Xbox One to fix connection speed issues?

So My 360 never seemed to have issues. I always had an Open NAT and solid ping. I could always download stuff fairly quickly as well. On Xbox One, downloading and installing games, demos, dlc, and updates takes me way longer than it should. Even when no one else is using my internet, My computer, 360, and phone, don't have any issues at all. Even my Xbox One always has an Open NAT and if not max ping, one below it. I never seem to lag in game unless I try to broadcast on twitch which is inconvenient but at least I can play the games normally. My friend and I have been having all sorts of random dropouts in party even when one of us isn't doing anything except sitting on dashboard. Sometimes it says "can't connect due to network connections" and other times we just can't hear each other, our mics don't show up, our voices come through TVs instead of the mics (and we both have our kinect voice chat option turned off). Unfortunately my router doesn't have a QoS setting for me to mess with but it's set to the maximum power level and bandwith and it's WEP protected so my neighbor's aren't leeching off of it. My friend said DMZ helped his upload and download speed on Xbox One but my router only has a DMZ plus option. I don't really know the difference but I was thinking of trying to set that up to see if it helps resolves things a little. I wish I could just do a wired connection but there's a bathroom in between my bedroom with the xbox and the computer room where my router is. I have lots of other more important things to spend money on right now but I don't want to buy a new router and such without knowing it's the problem. As I said, everything else seems to work just fine and speedy on my wifi. The Router is only like a year old too. Sorry it's a long read but if anyone has any thoughts that could help...please let me know. Thanks in advance.

Question Info

Last updated July 4, 2018 Views 5 Applies to:
Answer

First of all, it would be really helpful, if you could tell us the exact make and model of your router, and in case the router is connected to a broadband modem, the make and model of that broadband modem also.

[quote user="xCausticHypes"]

So My 360 never seemed to have issues. I always had an Open NAT and solid ping.

[/quote]

So far so good. But keep in mind, that some routers have trouble with two or more devices trying to use the same network ports, as it is the case with the Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Depending on your router, it might have trouble if you use the 360 and One at the same time, or in quick succession (e.g. stop playing the 360, turn it off, and immediately switch to the One. The router might still think, that the Xbox Live ports are used by the 360, and ignores the One requests to forward the ports right now).

I never seem to lag in game unless I try to broadcast on twitch which is inconvenient but at least I can play the games normally.

[/quote]

This is to be expected. Your Upstream bandwith (i.e. the traffic going out of your home into the internet) now has to constantly stream a pretty high quality video, AND has to send your multiplayer information to the other opponents. 

Since all consumer internet connections are assymetrically, you usually get a high download bandwith (into your home), but a low upstream bandwith (usually less than 1 or 2 MBit/sec upstream compared to 16, 50 or 100 Mbit/sec downstream on DSL, Cable or Fibre internet)

My friend and I have been having all sorts of random dropouts in party even when one of us isn't doing anything except sitting on dashboard. Sometimes it says "can't connect due to network connections" and other times we just can't hear each other, our mics don't show up, our voices come through TVs instead of the mics (and we both have our kinect voice chat option turned off).

[/quote]

There are several issues pictured here. On the one hand you have issues connecting to each other at all, and then you have the trouble, that your sound is played through the TV and the microphone doesn't work. 

Not being able to connect usually is a NAT or network problem. Not necessarily on your end alone, but your friend might also have router issues.

As with the microphone and TV sound not working as intended, it might also be an issue with the connection between console and controller.

Have you properly updated your controller during the last System Update for the One? If you start a party alone without anyone present, do you see a green circle next to your Gamertag, that pulsates when you speak in the microphone?

Unfortunately my router doesn't have a QoS setting for me to mess with

[/quote]

QoS won't help you, unless you need to priorize your bandwith for Multiplayer against other family members doing "less" time-critical stuff like Bit-Torrenting or reading websites.

As soon as other time critical applications come into play, like Video streaming, Twitch uploading, party chat and multiplayer, everything gets high priority by QoS, and still has to fight for the limited bandwith of your internet connection.

... it's WEP protected so my neighbor's aren't leeching off of it.

[/quote]

Then be glad your neighbors aren't that tech savvy. WEP is nowadays crackable within minutes. You should really try and change your WLAN protection to WPA or WPA2, unless you have devices that absolutely require WEP, like a Nintendo DS for example. 

My friend said DMZ helped his upload and download speed on Xbox One but my router only has a DMZ plus option.

[/quote]

DMZ usually has nothing to do with the download speed. And unless you tell us what router make and model you have so we can check if there is a manual online, we can't tell for sure what that "plus" is supposed to do to your DMZ settings. 

... I wish I could just do a wired connection but there's a bathroom in between my bedroom with the xbox and the computer room where my router is. ... I don't want to buy a new router and such without knowing it's the problem.

[/quote]

Usually it won't matter for the problems you describe if you are connected wirelessly or wired.

Just for testing purposes, try to buy or borrow a long enough Ethernet cable, and see if that improves the situation. If it does, then think about buying homeplug adaptors. These plugs will go into a wall outlet and will transmit network traffic through your home's electrical wiring.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.